Another Hero gone for his final debrief

Sad to hear that another great man has passed on. Thanks to such men we remain free, and we owe them all a great debt of gratitude. So many paid the ultimate price.

I often wonder if we were in the position of 1939 again today, would we still have people like Eric Brown come to the fore. I think so. The naysayers say that society has gone to the dogs and quote "broken Britain" and the amount of people that live off the government handouts. Whilst that is true, I like to think that such people as "Winkle" are still there. Let's not forget that his like weren't that common then!

RIP Winkle.

Hi Luckyeddie.
Pleased to see someone has put this up. He was a truly extraordinary man and a very skilled pilot. 2407 carrier landings. Amazing.

Yorkie.

Hi Luckyeddie.
Pleased to see someone has put this up. He was a truly extraordinary man and a very skilled pilot. 2407 carrier landings. Amazing.

Yorkie.

No problem Yorkie.
It's due to the duties that he carried out and the ultimate price that some of his colleagues paid that I'm able to write this.
So I feel it's only right that their passing is noted and respects paid.

Ed

Truly a man to look up to and admire - sad to hear of his death, like others, my thoughts are with his relatives :-

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunwards I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a thousand things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air,
Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of god.

There was so much more to this man than you could ever believe! There was a documentary about him on the tv a few years ago (I forget which channel but it is a MUST SEE programme) may be on you tube? He spent time in Germany and learned the language, pre ww11. I believe (by memory) he was inspired/challenged by one of the great German fighter aces who he spent time in the cockpit with to 'go away and learn how to fly a fighter', and boy did this man do this!
I cannot emphasize enough what a true legend this man was in the text I am writing. If you manage to view the above programme I've mentioned you will know exactly what I'm trying convey.
You will also be struck by how modest and matter-of-fact he was.
Men like Eric 'winkle' Brown are true one offs and the like of which we will NEVER see again.
I never met the man but wish I did, a true LEGEND and I do not use the word lightly.
R I P 'winkle'

With great sadness ATB Lee

Thanks for putting that up Bob. I hope some of the members take time to watch it.

ATB Lee

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Thanks for putting that up Bob. I hope some of the members take time to watch it.

ATB Lee

no worries bud

I was watching it this morning at work and thought id post it so that anyone who did not know of the man, they could see what we are all talking about.

being a part of history is in the making of it..and he did it so well.

bob.

I've been blessed to know and talk with men of his caliber (American WWII vets). One thing that always sticks in my mind afterwards, is that no matter how many questions I ask and receive answers to, when I get home I am always left with hundreds more questions. The thing that always amazed me though was how they continued to go up in the air again and again, knowing the odds were well beyond 50:50 for them not returning.

Back