Simple knife sharpening videos

JabaliHunter

Lots of videos out there, but these two are interesting because of their simplicity

Paul Sellers on sharpening flat/hollow grind knives

Ray Mears on sharpening a "Scandi" grind blade

Thanks for those i like the first one most as a little less cost involved, another tip for people is that you can wet and use the bottom of a cup/mug ''the part without glaze'' to run your knife across
Regards
Jimmy

I learnt how to sharpen a knife when I was 15 it took me a long time to learn how to keep it sharp
Like the first video for the novice if you have never raised a family with a knife you are probably a novice.

There was a post in here of a guy from NZ processing cattle. Now he had the sharpest knife I have seen.

Yes, the beauty of these is the simple method of holding the correct angle. The Scandi edge has a built in angle to work on by holding it flat on a stone, but the flat/hollow grind does not so is a bit trickier.

You can sharpen a blade on all sorts of surfaces such as coffe mugs, window edges, stone steps, but if you can't hold the angle straight then all you do is blunt the edge. It's definitely an art but takes a lot of practice to sharpen 'freehand'... I prefer simple as above ;)

When I was a nipper on a Sunday morning you could hear the knives being sharpened by the man of the house on the door step ready for carving the Sunday roast.
In those days it was the man of the house's job to carve and everybody I knew had a Sunday roast where all the family sat round the table.
Dad did the quick rub up on the step, I think it might have been to let everybody know we had a Sunday roast, then before cutting the meat, a quick flip backwards and forwards on a Steel.

When I was a nipper on a Sunday morning you could hear the knives being sharpened by the man of the house on the door step ready for carving the Sunday roast.
In those days it was the man of the house's job to carve and everybody I knew had a Sunday roast where all the family sat round the table.
Dad did the quick rub up on the step, I think it might have been to let everybody know we had a Sunday roast, then before cutting the meat, a quick flip backwards and forwards on a Steel.
my Mum was the same, every week you could hear the carving knife getting a hammering on the concrete path step :D after a few years the big carving knife looked like a filleting knife! :p heres my favourite sharpening video of the moment

Back