Leupold Scopes, looking for advice?

Von

Travelling to Florida this year for Hols, heading to "Bass-Pro" looking to by a new scope preferably a Leupold!

On returning then going to purchase a new rifle 308. What type of Leupold scope do you think i should by for my 308?

Well depends what you are shooting. The MK 4 tactical is v good and nice illuminated small central cross. Mind you very critical on eye position and eye relief. The 4-14x is v good but if you are doing long range stuff then the 20x might be a bit more usefull. Whilst your there if you buy a Leupold make sure you get the long sun shades ( indispensible) and if money allows buy the pack of screw in filters as they are close to £100 in UK. MK 4 will come with Butler creeks. Currently MK 4 in this country are in £900-£1k bracket!! but thats due to the exchange rate.

D

Thanks Cyres, will only be using the rifle for stalking Roe / Sika, should have mentioned this in the first post.

What about mounts better bying them their also?

You do realise that you are liable to import duty and VAT if your suitcase gets openend on you return from the US.

Always been a fan of Leupold scopes, ever since i first picked up a rifle.

I would stick to simple high quality here, the tacticle stuff is bloody excellent for range work, but 3-9 x 56 is ample for stalking. I have had mine 10 years now and its still bang on and never suffers from recoil.

EAW Ernst Apel GmbH
<LI class=g>Apel mounts without a doubt the best in the world

Yes they are good scopes just never look through a european scope cos you will be upset. Been there done that.

New zies duralight should cover what you will be spending on a leupy with much better glass. This is of course for stalking and not long range target/varmint shooting.

About 3 years ago I went to the same shop you are intending to go to witht he same thought in mind then the budget was £400. I ended up going for a Zeiss 4-14x50 for the same money as a similarly speced Leo the exchange rate was 2$ to the 1£ at the time. good luck

Dave

Travelling to Florida this year for Hols, heading to "Bass-Pro" looking to by a new scope preferably a Leupold!

On returning then going to purchase a new rifle 308. What type of Leupold scope do you think i should by for my 308?
Leupold VX-L b&c reticle a x56 goes on x40 mounts a x50 on x36 mounts! set on low mag its great for close shots in shaded woods etc
turn the mag up and you get to see the b&c reticle, it comes with a CD and a book and has all the info on the .308 using the Boone&Crockett reticle,see Leupold web you may be able to view the video!! PS ide flatten the packaging and post it to myself,and use the scope as it were a pair of binos!! if you got sick of it ile bet you'd get more on flea bay than you'd paid for it!!

Thanks for the advice guys, great stuff! Hopefully ill not get stopped at customs, suitcase will be full!!!!

Having looked through quite a few Leupold scopes, I would keep my hand in my pocket while in the US, and spend the money on a used European scope upon my return to the UK. Just my opinion.

Phil Beasley said he would not give them house room when I turned up with one a VXII model 2 years ago. I only use it on my Contender carbine in 6.5JDJ. That does not see much use here in Germany as drilling is king here.
Martin

Personally i wouldn't bother with one. A mate who swears by them recently looked through one of my Zeiss Conquest scopes and had to eat his words...... what sicken'd him most was that the conquest was no more expensive.

i have had a look at some leupolds but never in the field so cant comment on them to the degree of others. but the zeiss conquest range are very good. ive had two. well still got one on a 222.

for the money they cant be beat imo. as there only 25mm scope tube it puts some people off. but the glass is spot on. and being 25 mm tube means its lighter, and scope mounts are often cheaper.

Back