Montana deer and Elk 2016

Getting into my training again after the blip of having the flu.
One demanding walk per week in the Teign valley incorporating some very steep climbs, started off with just a few pounds in my back pack, now up to 20lb and 10 mile walks, i will increase the walks to around 14 miles and a 50lb pack.
2 runs per week, not a great fan of running anymore, i used to live for it once, but i don't plan on going any further than 5 miles.
Daily press up's and sit up's routine.
Already lost half a stone, but need to lose another stone.
Cheers
Richard

I find this such a good way to lift fitness levels quickly but gently & aim to do a minimum of 10 km carrying 10kg at least 3 times per week; beyond that and I find it gets very difficult to create the time in the busy lives we all lead.

I'm not a fan of running at all either & I'm sure it stuffs up joints running on hard surfaces so I'll only run uphill for short distances to avoid the jarring.

Good luck with the training & trip & I have to admit to having a similar trip on another continent at the back of my mind when I'm out walking.

I can't believe it hasn't been covered already. What rifle and equipment do you pack for the trip?

I'm thinking you have to watch baggage allowance.

Good luck with the training. I had planned on a black bear hunt with an outfitter but reading about your experience I may look into a DIY hunt and be able to fit more in for my $

Luckily i have enough spare time to do the training to increase my fitness levels, i will try not to let them slip after i return this time.

I am taking my 30-06, but this time my Montanan friend will have bought some ammo for me and all i will need to do is zero when i arrive.
Baggage allowance is a challenge but all my camping equipment is lightweight, i jam as much as i can into the carry on.
All i have to buy when i get there is food, gas, lighter, wet wipes, TP etc
I keep clothing to a minimum and make use of Icebreaker base layers.
My main baggage item is my ruck sack, i ram it full and then it goes in a large coverall bag to avoid the straps getting stuck in conveyor belts.
You are not supposed to place anything in with the rifle, but i pack my fishing rod and reel and haven't had a problem.

You bear hunt is doable, if in Montana it would be best to hunt in April/May, i have never done one, but you could do a DIY without any problem, finding the bears is the problem, and they will be hungry as well!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Really no reason why anybody should not do a trip with the whole experience bar the shot.
In Wyoming when driving we saw lots of deer happily foraging,maybe a mile away from the road.
But stop the car for a better look and they are gone

After a scary start (see http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....arrow-escape-in-Montana?p=1178924#post1178924) we set off on the Elk hunt, within 2 hours of opening we had several Elk in our sights, but they were all cow's and spikes, although i could shoot a cow Elk, i couldn't shoot a spike in the district, so i left them.
The temperature was crazy high for Montana this time of year, which made it difficult hunting, 10-12 hour days on the mountain up to 9000' produced no success, we got close, 30 yards away, from what looked like a bull, until we realised although it had forked antlers it didn't have brow tines, so it walked.
I did spy a really nice bull elk, i tried to get to it the next day, but it entailed a 4 hour hike around a private section and through the timber, only to find a shear cliff stopped me, damn it!
The following day i tried again from another direction, but it had left.
I had more luck with the Whitetail, i stalked through the timber one evening and found a nice spot and sat down, after an hour i decided to just shift position as my backside was getting a little numb, as soon as i moved a caught glimpse of a doe racing across the clearing, followed by a buck at full speed, i had to run about 30 yards to find a spot where the would cross a narrow opening, she crossed, but the buck stopped, a really nice buck, a split second later the 30-06 180 grain Nosler Partition was on it's way, 176 yards, i heard the 'thud' and knew the shot was good as it lunged forward and dove into the thick timber. It went about 50 yards and fell under/over a tree, next day we packed out the meat on our backs.
I'm glad i didn't shoot the small mule deer buck i had seen a few days before.

They get into some crazy places.

My friend was not having such good fortune, but on our last day of hunting i spied a herd of Mule deer, only problem was they were in the same field as around 25 Antelope, and we had to approach into the Antelope because of the wind, then i realised one of the Muleys was a small, but legal buck, sniffing the does as the rut was approaching, but the does weren't interested.
The next problem was they were heading from BLM Public land towards a house and private land, so there was nothing to it but spook the Antelope and go forward.
So off the lopes ran, followed by me, i waved my arms and 'barked' at the deer (they had never seen a crazy Englishmen me thinks!) and they stopped, i beckoned my friend to run as well, he dropped to the ground and experienced his first encounter with a prickly pear cactus (he will be plucking those things out of his knee's for months!) but the previos range was 325 yards, with a quick guesstimate of 275 and his 300 wsm did the business.
He had 19 minutes of legal light left on our last day of hunting!

Any questions please ask away.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Hello Devon Deer Stalker I have enjoyed your write up. I am just back from Montana after my second elk hunt the first three days there the temps were in the mid twenty's then it dropped I did not manage an Elk this time but got a good Mule the other three in my party harvested good Male Elk. We were on all public land and self guided could not manage only for the GPS all the best.

Hello Devon Deer Stalker I have enjoyed your write up. I am just back from Montana after my second elk hunt the first three days there the temps were in the mid twenty's then it dropped I did not manage an Elk this time but got a good Mule the other three in my party harvested good Male Elk. We were on all public land and self guided could not manage only for the GPS all the best.
Good on you!
Any pics of your success?
Too damned warm when we went.
Without giving away too much what area?
Cheers
Richard

Thanks for the advice Richard much appreciated. This is one of those trips I have wanted to do for a while. To know that there are guys actually getting out there and doing it is great. 2018 elk hunt is now on the cards. Time to start planning.
s8mdevo 2018? See you there!
I am in the early stages of planning another Montana hunt, this time i am going with 2 friends, they were clients, but are now friends, i went with one of them in 2016, both are members on this site.
The research has now started, the Elk hunt will start in the same area in SW Montana where i had success before, but we will be looking into a 3 day back woods wilderness hunt, weather permitting!
Then onto a deer hunt for the last week.
Any questions chime in!
Cheers
Richard

Back