Thread: OCW test

OCW test

Well, I finally fired my first reloaded rounds this morning in my .222rem, and thankfully they all went bang and they all hit the target. I'm using Reloder 7 and 40gr Nosler Varmaggedon. Shot 2 groups of 5 @ 100 yrds with the rifle zeroed @ 170 yards which I had being using for the 50gr Hornady factory ammo. Starting load was 21gr and was high and to the left. My question is, should I re zero now using the start load before I start to work up the load, or should I keep using my existing zero and concentrate looking for the tightest group?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Well, I finally fired my first reloaded rounds this morning in my .222rem, and thankfully they all went bang and they all hit the target. I'm using Reloder 7 and 40gr Nosler Varmaggedon. Shot 2 groups of 5 @ 100 yrds with the rifle zeroed @ 170 yards which I had being using for the 50gr Hornady factory ammo. Starting load was 21gr and was high and to the left. My question is, should I re zero now using the start load before I start to work up the load, or should I keep using my existing zero and concentrate looking for the tightest group?
    I keep my rifles set on their stalking zeroes while testing and practising. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 22-02-2016 at 17:16.

Option 2, use the same zero and just shoot for tightest group.

I may have completely mis understood what you wrote Flatliner but my take with the OCW test is not to shoot just two groups but to shoot at least 6 groups with either 3 or 4 shots with varying weights of powder but all seated at the same distance from the lands and once you have decided upon a weight then play with the distance off the lands to fine tune your ammo. Something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bradley .223.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	66924

And finally something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bradley .223 (B).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	66925

Yes I agree with others, as long as the bullet hits the paper and once you are happy with your recipe you can alter your scope to your preferred zero range.

Thanks lads.

PeterH, these were the first rounds I'd loaded myself, and I just wanted to see if all was working as it should before I started into testing for ocw properly. By the way, that's a very nice group you finished up with.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Hi flatliner,as long as your rounds are on paper the don't alter your zero yet,just aim at the target and shoot a group.
    Done some load development down the local range and someone told me the reloads were rubbish as they wernt on the tage, I explained that I was load developing and just shooting for a good group,yeah came the reply,but their not on the target!
    I gave up.
    dave