Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What bone saw to get?

What bone saw to get?

I am in the process of stocking my stalking bag with the necessary equipment I might need when out stalking. This doesn't mean that I will carry the complete bag with me every time I go stalking, just that when I do go stalking I can pick the bag up and know that I will at least have everything I need in the motor for when I do need it.
    I am now at the stage of thinking about which bone saw to buy. I'm not after a full sized butchers bone saw, I'm only after one that is suitable for cutting through the breast bone when I am doing a gralloch. (I usually use one of my knives to do this on Roe but I would prefer to have the right tool for the job, especially for larger species of deer)
    With so many different ones on the market which one would you suggest without breaking the bank please?

Hi Frenchieboy,

Very rarely use a bone saw other than in the larder however, I have 3,

1. Full sized butchers saw - really only used for larder work (30/50)
    2. Sagen saw (similar to casstrom) - small and portable reasonably strong, perfect for roe (25)
    3. David Stretton bone saw - converted knife, very strong, portable and suitable for all deer. It comes in about 20 + p&p and you can purchase a matching leather sheath with stainless steel liner all from Donington Deer

The David Stretton saw is my go to saw for the field and is OK for the larder.

PS don't use your knife to cut bone unless you want to be forever sharpening it.

Willie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	66955
    Last edited by Willie; 23-02-2016 at 16:39.

I just use the saw blade on my leatherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Hi Frenchieboy,

Very rarely use a bone saw other than in the larder however, I have 3,

1. Full sized butchers saw - really only used for larder work (30/50)
    2. Sagen saw (similar to casstrom) - small and portable reasonably strong, perfect for roe (25)
    3. David Stretton bone saw - converted knife, very strong, portable and suitable for all deer. It comes in about 20 + p&p and you can purchase a matching leather sheath with stainless steel liner all from Donington Deer

The David Stretton saw is my go to saw for the field and is OK for the larder.

PS don't use your knife to cut bone unless you want to be forever sharpening it.

Willie
    +1 for item 3, David Stretton saw is simply the best field saw I have used. comparing it to Sagen, castrom, the BDS saw and some others bought at the game fairs. each tooth is bent slightly in the opposite direction from the one next to it meaning it cuts a channel wider than the blade which stops it getting stuck. because it doesn't have a chunk of plastic on the end of the blade or an odd shape like the castrom it can be laid along the pelvic bone and can cut the length of it rather than at right angles (if that makes sense), this means that the bone section you are cutting is wider than the pitch of the teeth and this stops the saw from sticking and jerking.

I have one of these for sale unused if you are interested you can have it for 15.00 plus postage which shouldn't be too much.

Martin

What bone saw to get?

I use this
    MP Direct by MP Tools | For Tools and Spray Equipment| Gerber Gator Exchange A Blade Saw

Does Job, blade is removable for cleaning & mine came with fine blade & coarse blade .

It also useable for easy cutting of branches etc for building hides etc if into pigeon shooting etc

Good value multi purpose tool

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    I use this
    MP Direct by MP Tools | For Tools and Spray Equipment| Gerber Gator Exchange A Blade Saw

Does Job, blade is removable for cleaning & mine came with fine blade & coarse blade .

It also useable for easy cutting of branches etc for building hides etc if into pigeon shooting etc

Good value multi purpose tool

Paul
    And cuts on the push and pull strokes, therefore filling the chest cavity with all sorts of crud from this and previous jobs . Thanks but no thanks Paul. And don't advertise that you used this in your DSC2 portfolio either because it will be an instant fail!

B&Q for cutting deer up, but a good knife will split any deer, but personally I never split the chest plate, as the dealers don,t like it.
    Last edited by Taff; 23-02-2016 at 06:29.

My advice would be to make sure that it's long enough. If it's less than 3" long then it's only suitable for roe and smaller. IMO a knife will suffice for roe and smaller! The Sagen Bone saw handles crack in the dish washer too so avoid them! The 11cm blade Casstrom as here http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...less-bone-saws does the job very well though and appears to be extremely well made. You could do worse!