Thread: Which pheasant strain.

Which pheasant strain.

It's come to that time of year again when the game farm are asking what birds we want for next season. Now were a small shoot, around 700 birds, 300 acres. We used to rear our own and have played around with strains in the past. Now we are buying in for simplicity and not sure what to go for. Last year we had common ring neck, and although good sized birds, infact great birds, I'm not sure if they handle shooting pressure that well? We're small, as I say, and tend to do the same drives over and over again so no opportunity to rest. Other choices are bazanty, or black neck.(From this particular farm) Thoughts/experiences appreciated!

I prefer bazanty and Kansas blue, their good flyers and hold well to the feeders. Although everyone has their own preference for which strain of pheasant they have on their shoot

Stacey
    Last edited by Stacey; 22-02-2016 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I prefer bazanty and Kansas blue, their good flyers and hold well to the feeders. Although everyone has their own preference for which strain of pheasant they have on their shoot

Stacey
    Don't think I would risk Kansas blues on an area as small as 300 acres

I've found them to be very loyal, yeah their smaller but despite several shoot days they still come to the feeders when whistling in. It could just be the type of ground that we're on why they work so well.

stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    It's come to that time of year again when the game farm are asking what birds we want for next season. Now were a small shoot, around 700 birds, 300 acres. We used to rear our own and have played around with strains in the past. Now we are buying in for simplicity and not sure what to go for. Last year we had common ring neck, and although good sized birds, infact great birds, I'm not sure if they handle shooting pressure that well? We're small, as I say, and tend to do the same drives over and over again so no opportunity to rest. Other choices are bazanty, or black neck.(From this particular farm) Thoughts/experiences appreciated!
    How hard are u shooting it with that number of birds? Shoot once a week/fortnight or same drive twice same day?

Every keeper will tell u something different. Some swear by 1 strain yet their nieghbour with similar ground will slate that strain and have a different favourite.
    Probably more important to get quality poults and get pens/feeding right afterwards

Kanas crosses where the fashion about here 3 years ago but only 1 shoot still puts them down now (and they bucked the local trend here this year and had a brilliant season) the gamefarmer put a few out and didn't think they were any better fliers than ur traditional breeds ring/black necks

I put down Kansas last season, fly well, don't wander and provide some very good shots> Down side as already said, not much meat on them

Black necks would be your best choice and they are a very hardy bird and a very popular choice for a great number of large shoots . Kansas blues are great fliers but are known not to hold well, as above 300 acres is not a very big area.

new strain out the stop@home strain never before seen in the UK shoot em as often as you like never stray never get sick and fly like bjesus but they're 18 a bird inc vat limited stocks pm for details only please
    N

..........sounds great! If you could stick a few corblimeys in as well; I will have 10,000. Could I pay more though as the more you pay, the better they'll be....

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Here you go buddy! https://www.pheasant.com/birds/melan...0/default.aspx Kidding aside, this looks like a good candidate for your lands: https://www.pheasant.com/birds/manch...spheasant.aspx
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 16-03-2016 at 04:41.