Thread: Gunsmithing - British Side-by-side Shotguns

Gunsmithing - British Side-by-side Shotguns

Trying to take my mind of other events was thinking about how to tighten up my old AyA that I bought when I was a boy, its now loose and sits in the back of the gun cabinet.

I bumped into this series on You Tube - wonderful old school gunsmith with just a collection of hand tools. You

Now go and find an old rattly hammer gun for 30 in an auction and then start pottering

Health Warning - this will take you off to your man cave and many hours will be spent just at least watching the videos.

or

Thanks for this!
    I am restoring an old field grade Ithaca 12 gauge Magnum box lock SxS and a Lefever sidelock now.

Have you read the book on upland bird hunting, "A Hunter's Road", where Jim Fergus and his retriever travel 17,000 miles in five months to hunt birds in something like 24 states? His gun breaks in upstate New York, IIRC, and he is shown to the home of a gunsmith, trained in London, who makes him a new firing pin from scratch, tempers and fits it with just hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Thanks for this!
    I am restoring an old field grade Ithaca 12 gauge Magnum box lock SxS and a Lefever sidelock now.

Have you read the book on upland bird hunting, "A Hunter's Road", where Jim Fergus and his retriever travel 17,000 miles in five months to hunt birds in something like 24 states? His gun breaks in upstate New York, IIRC, and he is shown to the home of a gunsmith, trained in London, who makes him a new firing pin from scratch, tempers and fits it with just hand tools.
    no I have nt. But Michael McIntoshs book on shotguns is on my bedside table.

SD Regular
    If anyone wants an old school gunsmith, traditionally trained and who will hand make replacement parts, I can highly recommend Chris Watts at Lucas and Watts - http://www.lucasandwatts.co.uk/
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Thanks for this!

Thanks for that - found a copy on Amazon and it should be with me by Thursday
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    no I have nt. But Michael McIntoshs book on shotguns is on my bedside table.
    He wrote four that I know of. I have "Best Guns" and "Shotgunning" (1). Nice fellow, died at an early age, 66, in 2010.

As an AyA owner, you should have "Best Spanish Guns", by Terry Wieland.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you like shooting with older shotguns I can thoroughly recommend Diggory Hadoake's "Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot"

Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot: Amazon.co.uk: Diggory Hadoke: 9781873674901: Books
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lewis Potter, the younger gunsmith in those videos, also has a book on gunsmithing double barrel shotguns that I should probably buy, BEFORE working on the mechanisms of my current projects.

Lewis Potter, the younger gunsmith in those videos, also has a book on gunsmithing double barrel shotguns that I should probably buy, BEFORE working on the mechanisms of my current projects.

I think you mean Larry Potterfield!.

You are right, that is Larry Potterfield in the video. But it is Lewis Potter, the English gunsmith, who wrote a book on repairing and tuning double barrel shotguns - that is the one I need to find and read. Seeing Potterfield made that bubble up in my mind.