Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dsc1 vs experience

Dsc1 vs experience

Hi
    This one has probably been done in various forms but I would like some personal views from both sides of the argument , which is what this will probably turn into.
    Well here we go .
    I've Been shooting for 40 + years 20 or so stalking But lately more and more leases are asking for a Dsc1 cert now what I would like to know is what makes somebody who has passed a course but probably has never seen a deer in the wild let alone stalked and dispatched one a better prospect than myself for gaining a lease . Would common sense not say that experience would come first as with a job, a review of his CV and qualifications.
    Please feel free to comment I would just like personal views not rights and wrongs
    best Regards
    dully1963
    Long range Foxing reach out and touch the red fellas

Only one answer. Give it a go at taking Level 1 and see how you fair. Then you will know for sure if your experience is of doing the right thing or you are repeating practices that are less than ideal.
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

I think compulsory DSC1 would not be a good thing, but from my experience it was a very enjoyable experience. The course itself was informative and the material very good, but a lot of the best bits was that I met a lot of interesting guys and we discussed a wide range of experiences and in that situation you just learn stuff. I hope, though it is probably a vain hope, that people got something out my contributions. I would advise giving it a go because it opens your mind up to doing things in different ways.

David.

Dully,
    I understand what you are saying, I didn't bother with DSC2 for years, but finally and with some reluctance did it. You have to turn this on its head and look at it from the land owners/agents point of view. By issuing a lease to someone who has DSC1/2, if anything, god forbid goes wrong, and HSE or ambulance chasing lawyers get involved, by insisting on these qualifications, they can prove they have acted with due diligence in issuing the lease. It is no different to bringing contractors on site and asking for their quals before they carry out their work whatever that may be, i.e. in land management terms, forestry or agricultural contractors. This is my take on it as someone who has managed an estate and been on the receiving end of a HSE investigation, not stalking related I should add! It was forestry related and because I had copies of the injured persons quals I could prove I had exercised due diligence in ensuring the person concerned had training appropriate to the task they were carrying out. Hope this makes sense!
    DamDama

Four experienced stalkers took just the test day with donnington deer services we did online learning we ALL learned something !! Two of us have booked up for leval 2 and 1 has now been involved in a lease in the far north .
    for 140 id say it was well worth the day out and I will use the qualification to help being involved in a lease in the future ... Qualifications are the future like it or not !!
    Good luck you won't need it draw on your experience,
    norma

I agree with the previous posts, go and do your dsc1, i am sure even with your 20 years of hands on stalking you are never too old to learn, and i think you will find it an enjoyable experience.

When I did my DSC1 there were many people there with a great deal of experience including gamekeepers who you might expect to know the ins and outs of carcass hygiene or firearms law. Not a single person failed to learn something new and most were correct at some point on something they thought they already knew.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Dsc can't teach you to stalk and is no substitute for experience. However everyone will benefit from a bit of training whether experienced or novice. I know a few 'old hands' whose stalking practices are pretty shocking and some of the experienced guys on my dsc1 performed pretty poorly all round.
    If it opens a few doors for stalking opportunities then that's another plus too.

Quote Originally Posted by dully1963 View Post
    Hi
    This one has probably been done in various forms but I would like some personal views from both sides of the argument , which is what this will probably turn into.
    Well here we go .
    I've Been shooting for 40 + years 20 or so stalking But lately more and more leases are asking for a Dsc1 cert now what I would like to know is what makes somebody who has passed a course but probably has never seen a deer in the wild let alone stalked and dispatched one a better prospect than myself for gaining a lease . Would common sense not say that experience would come first as with a job, a review of his CV and qualifications.
    Please feel free to comment I would just like personal views not rights and wrongs
    best Regards
    dully1963
    My Dad waited ~60 years before he did his DSC 1 & 2, I waited 28 years, we both learnt lots from going through DSC 1 & 2. I don't think it matters what field you work in, training and interaction with experts in the field is essential. I expect my Dad and I will keep learning about deer until the end of our days.

Best regards

JCS

When I did my DSC 1 there were plenty of "experienced" people on the course one of which failed the shooting test and another one failed one of the theory exams. Just goes to show you that every day is a school day. I can quite happily say that if I had not carried out my DSC 1 then I would be in the position that I am now with regards to deer and their management.

GS