Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Aftermath of Cecil the Lion

The Aftermath of Cecil the Lion

Seems that the antis may have won the battle, and now the lions are going to lose the war. I wonder if the animal lovers are going to make up the lost revenue and pay for relocating the excess cats??

From Zimbabwe Park to Cull 200 Lions, Cites Lack of Hunters - OutdoorHub

"Hunters traditionally helped to keep lion numbers in check, as well as bringing a much needed financial boost to the park. However, officials are now blaming something they call the “Cecil effect” for the lack of hunters. In 2015, the hunting of a black-maned lion named Cecil by an American dentist, Walter Palmer, drew international outrage after the Zimbabwe government accused Palmer of poaching. The charges were later dropped, but activist groups continued to target big game hunters in Africa and urged many governments, including Zimbabwe, to close their borders to hunters. This is despite the fact that many conservationists have long agreed that hunters are needed to not only manage wildlife populations, but also provide the funds to protect the same species they hunt."

I won't be surprised when there is an increase in illegal kills and a drop in lion numbers , the anti's will learn the meaning of the saying , be careful what you wish for .

AB

Totally predictable and will come as a surprise to few on here!

Blog Entries
    Sad but predictable. Conservation will feel the breeze for years to come.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I may be completely wrong but a point which is often missing in big 5 discussions is that such hunts are the prerogative of the very wealthy. Conservation as pushed by the antis has large groundswell support from those of modest means. There is an element of class war somewhere in the mixture. As long as lion conrol relies on rich recreational hunters, I expect it will not gain much favour in public opinion. I feel sorry for the beast, not sure about the other stakeholders.

I believe lion skins to full mounts can no longer be imported into the US so there is less incentive to come with big bucks to hunt them sadly.

Wake up and smell the coffee! It will never be the antis fault ........................... never it will always be someone elses or maybe even the man in the moons fault but NEVER the antis.

A lot of the antis do not care what the outcome is just as long as they get something banned and then feeling all pleased with themselves they will look for the next target to hit and get banned and so on. Look what they did with the Mink farming released the Mink and condemned the Water Vole to extinction but Oh no not their fault it was some one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I won't be surprised when there is an increase in illegal kills and a drop in lion numbers , the anti's will learn the meaning of the saying , be careful what you wish for .

AB
    Absolutly not, the anti,s would rather the extinction of the species rather than have folks hunt them. It is not about animal welfare , its about controlling other humans
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    I may be completely wrong but a point which is often missing in big 5 discussions is that such hunts are the prerogative of the very wealthy. Conservation as pushed by the antis has large groundswell support from those of modest means. There is an element of class war somewhere in the mixture.......
    i suspect you are quite correct. We recently had a big "expose" about a rich young man by the name of Trump that spent a lot of time hunting on Africa. Regardless of what one may think of his father, the son spends a lot of money in Africa, and it probably does more good than the antis buying organic fair trade trinkets from a village.

You are all so right; for the anti-hunters, it is all about themselves: making themselves feel important and grand, getting back at the people they envy. They are bomb throwers. They rush up to some event, try to make it into a scandal, name victims and villains, propose "solutions" without any knowledge or forethought, then off to the coffee house for a break before the next "outrage".

You will never hear them criticize the poaching or devastating farming practices of the natives. And every traveling hunter must be rich, greedy businessman if from America, a heir if from the UK. These self-described "liberals" are intolerant bigots on almost ever area of life, and minding things which are none of their business is a distraction from their personal shortcomings.

I do wish there were more hunters who were not obsessed with trophies, but they are not that many who act on it, so it is not a social problem. The fact is that all wild animal populations need to be controlled by man, or there will be huge cycles of population increases, then starvation and disease to cut the numbers. These anti-hunters would rather poison these 200 lions than let 200 hunters put millions into the local economies and actually help "the poor" whom they claim to so love.