Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to stay calm [emoji35]

Trying to stay calm

Hi everyone,

So last week I bought a new gun, a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag, I wanted a picatinny rail on it but I couldn't get the original mount bases off, so I took it to a gunsmith to be fitted.

I've just got home from collecting the gun from the gunsmith with the picatinny rail fitted, but now I seemed to have gained something that I didn't want...... (See photos).

Can anyone please tell me what bluing Sauer use or who can do this type of finish? The gunsmith has said that he will re blue for me but I want the original finish!!!

AlexClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322840.678261.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	547.4 KB 
ID:	66966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322886.397030.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	503.7 KB 
ID:	66967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322907.140656.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	485.4 KB 
ID:	66968

Sauer does a really nice high polish hot blue. That scratch, while not anything to make one happy, can be easily eradicated, as it just appears to be the bluing and not a bad gouging.

Some Sauers have matte blue, from a hot salt bath over a bead blasted surface.
    Some synthetic models are stainless steel with an Iaflon coating ( like Teflon, same as in the bottom of a skillet).

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Hi everyone,

So last week I bought a new gun, a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag, I wanted a picatinny rail on it but I couldn't get the original mount bases off, so I took it to a gunsmith to be fitted.

I've just got home from collecting the gun from the gunsmith with the picatinny rail fitted, but now I seemed to have gained something that I didn't want...... (See photos).

Can anyone please tell me what bluing Sauer use or who can do this type of finish? The gunsmith has said that he will re blue for me but I want the original finish!!!

AlexClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322840.678261.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	547.4 KB 
ID:	66966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322886.397030.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	503.7 KB 
ID:	66967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456322907.140656.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	485.4 KB 
ID:	66968
    I had similar happen several years ago when I purchased a Sako 85 new. Upon receipt I then handed the rifle back to the shop for them to have screw cut. On returning from their gunsmith there was a scratch on the rifle.
    They caused it, their fault. They gave me a brand new rifle.

Regards

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Sauer does a really nice high polish hot blue. That scratch, while not anything to make one happy, can be easily eradicated, as it just appears to be the bluing and not a bad gouging.

Some Sauers have matte blue, from a hot salt bath over a bead blasted surface.
    Some synthetic models are stainless steel with an Iaflon coating ( like Teflon, same as in the bottom of a skillet).
    Hi Southern,

Mine is the high polish blue, who would you suggest I remedy the problem?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    I had similar happen several years ago when I purchased a Sako 85 new. Upon receipt I then handed the rifle back to the shop for them to have screw cut. On returning from their gunsmith there was a scratch on the rifle.
    They caused it, their fault. They gave me a brand new rifle.

Regards

Ed
    So you know first hand how I'm feeling at the moment then!!

My problem is that it's a second hand rifle, so I'm guessing if he can't sorted would his insurance have to pay for a new action/gun?

Hi Southern,

Mine is the high polish blue, who would you suggest I remedy the problem?

Alex
    The same fellow who scratched it. If he is not sure he is up to it (which any gunsmith should be), he should know who is.

It is like buying a used luxury SUV, and having a trailer hitch installed, where you go to pick it up, there is a scratch on the tailgate, perhaps from a wrench in someone's hip pocket. It can be touched up so you never know it happened. The entire car does not need to be repainted. It just needs someone who knows how to do it properly.

Polished blue is easier to fix than matte, or some deep applied coating that gets scratched.

By the way, I have a Sauer 200 Lux, so I feel your pain.

I buy and work on used rifles and shotguns all the time. A few years ago, I bought a nice, barely used Sako L61R. It had a streak on the barrel where it must have been stood up against a tailgate of a truck, fell over, and slid along the edge before someone caught it. Nothing else had a mark. I gently polished it out to blur the edges, then touched it up with Brownell's Oxy Cold Blue, about six applications over two days. You could not find the boo boo now if your life depended on it. If I ever sell it, I will tell the buyer.

That is appalling, any smith worth his sort would have told you about the scratch and refinished the action before returning the gun to you as well as waving any fees!

Ian.

As stupid as it may sound, it's completely ruined my day, after saving for ages to be able to afford a gun like as well.

You can feel a gouge in the metal if you run your nail over it. So I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get him to either fix it or get a new action.

It is understandable that your day has been ruined. I hope you didn't pay for the work carried out. It is the responsibility of the smith to correct.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

As stupid as it may sound, it's completely ruined my day, after saving for ages to be able to afford a gun like as well.

You can feel a gouge in the metal if you run your nail over it. So I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get him to either fix it or get a new action.
    It's not silly at all! We all have to save for the things we aspire to.

The only thing is, can you prove that it was scratched by them? Did you inspect the rifle before leaving the shop, as they could deny that it was them, and are doing you a favour with anything remedial...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)