Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i entitled to a refund?

Am i entitled to a refund?

Can anyone please advise and be positive on the following;
    I purchased a Bresser nv spotter from a local Lidl store 4 years ago which has now gone faulty. Lidl no longer sell the unit.
    It is clearly printed on the box that the unit has a 5 year guarantee.
    The unit is in good condition (no physical damage) with all original packaging and receipts.
    Don't get me wrong I've had more than my moneys worth out of this unit, but it has gone faulty within the guarantee period.
    I just want to know for definate what my consumer rights are before I return it to the store I purchased it from.

Can anyone on here help me with advice and be 100% certain if I can claim a refund?
    Many thanks in advance.
    ATB Lee

Have you got proof of purchase?
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

SD Regular
    YES..but only under the terms of the refund offered in the contract you made that, as part of it, offered the five year guarantee.

So if those terms say 'after 5 years' it's 50%, or an exchange unit rather than a new unit, that's it. But if the terms say a full refund then that's what you should get.

And, of course, your contract is with the store group you bought it from and enforceable against them not against the maker.

It'd then be for the store group to complain against the maker to get their loss back.

You did well keeping the box with the words 'Five Year Guarantee' printed on it. It's part of the contract...
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 24-02-2016 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Have you got proof of purchase?
    Yes, as stated Psyxologos I have the receipt.

ATB Lee

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    YES..but only under the terms of the refund offered in the contract you made that, as part of it, offered the five year guarantee.

So if those terms say 'after 5 years' it's 50%, or an exchange unit rather than a new unit, that's it. But if the terms say a full refund then that's what you should get.

And, of course, your contract is with the store group you bought it from and enforceable against them not against the maker.

It'd then be for the store group to complain against the maker to get their loss back.

You did well keeping the box with the words 'Five Year Guarantee' printed on it. It's part of the contract...
    Thanks for the reply enfield, but could you clarify please I'm a little confused? The unit is 4 years old and the guarantee on the box says 5 years. How do I know what the above terms you've mentioned are?

ATB Lee
    Last edited by leej; 25-02-2016 at 00:38.

I also expect that if Lidl have the unit repaired at their expense they will have fulfilled their part of the contract without having to give a refund.

SD Regular
    Oops! I've written nonsense. I see it now. I meant "after four years" at 50%.

So if the box says 'Five Year Guarantee' it means that but that may ne qualified by the piece of paper included.

So on car parts it used to be common to give a guarantee of a reducing refund of say 100% in year 1, 90% in year 2, 80% in year 3, and so on in the small print of the papers that came with part...such as a clutch or road tyres...to reflect fair wear and tear. Even though the packaging said 'Five Year Guarantee' it had a * after that said 'See Terms and Conditions".

So often light bulb in an appliance might be excluded from the guarantee after a certain period.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Oops! I've written nonsense. I see it now. I meant "after four years" at 50%.

So if the box says 'Five Year Guarantee' it means that but that may ne qualified by the piece of paper included.

So on car parts it used to be common to give a guarantee of a reducing refund of say 100% in year 1, 90% in year 2, 80% in year 3, and so on in the small print of the papers that came with part...such as a clutch or road tyres...to reflect fair wear and tear. Even though the packaging said 'Five Year Guarantee' it had a * after that said 'See Terms and Conditions".

So often light bulb in an appliance might be excluded from the guarantee after a certain period.
    Ah I see. Like I said I have all the original packaging and paperwork, so I guess I've got some small print to read!
    Thanks for the reply.

ATB Lee

SD Regular
    No problem. Was watching tv a a documentary about Claude Francois...well more watching 'the Clodettes' in general and Ketty Sina in particular. It's just finished...some French cjat nonsense on now so a glass of Camus and off to bed! I'm in France at the moment...hence the tv programme!

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    I also expect that if Lidl have the unit repaired at their expense they will have fulfilled their part of the contract without having to give a refund.
    +1 Likely this option will be open to the store to utilise initially.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!