Thread: Fallow Doe Liver

Fallow Doe Liver

Some pictures of a Fallow doe liver, otherwise healthy. Didn't shoot it myself as was stalking another part of the ground. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown-5.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	66998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown-6.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	66999

Interesting, lots of scarring - fibrosis, so a long term problem. Any other details such as age condition and other lesions in the caracase. A section for histology would be useful

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Interesting, lots of scarring - fibrosis, so a long term problem. Any other details such as age condition and other lesions in the caracase. A section for histology would be useful

So what do we do? Discard the liver and use the rest of the carcass or reject it altogether?
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    I didn't shoot the animal, I was told she was healthy, moving and behaving well. Head shot, dressed at 29kgs. I have certainly never seen a liver like this before, hence the posting.

There is no way that I would let that animal enter any food chain, not even my dogs! The liver filters the blood and has a huge blood supply. So in my mind that means that whatever caused those cysts and scarring is in all the body tissues! Bury it !
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    There is no way that I would let that animal enter any food chain, not even my dogs! The liver filters the blood and has a huge blood supply. So in my mind that means that whatever caused those cysts and scarring is in all the body tissues! Bury it !
    Jerry
    Again, not my deer. The pluck was kept behind to have a look at as I am currently doing DSC2 and it was an opportunity to see something unusual. All the other organs were fine, as were the lymph nodes (apart from portal, which obviously was lost in the mess). I didn't shoot or inspect the deer, this had already been done. I just looked at the pluck and took a picture as I thought it would be interesting to share. I'll find out what was done with the carcass.

Assuming all else was normal, it could be OK to eat. You can get this sort of response to fluke in cattle, although its less common in deer. The liver is great at coping with damage, so I can well believe this animal was normal as I can still see normal looking tissue.

Reminds me of the time when I worked in Leeds, opposite the Leeds General Infirmary. The Mortuary was on the ground floor, as was the canteen. Every now and then there would be Liver and Bacon lunch specials.

Looks like a bad case of liver fluke, but you would imagine she would be light as a result.

Here's one I had from a fallow doe a few year back. Don't know what it was, cancer maybe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1456693438217.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	67152