Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 creedmoor

Red face 6.5 creedmoor

Hi guys I'm currently in the process of having a rifle built by dave at valkyrie in 6.5 creedmoor, I've already managed to get hold of a few tubs of h4350, 139gr lapua senar, and some unicorn droppings in the form of 140gr amax.
    What I need from you friendly folk is some advice on loads
    It's going to be 1 in 8 twist cut to 26" any advice would be great cheers

Adamant is getting one of these built too but not at the same place maybe he could help if you flick him a PM.
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

surely ,dave will provide accurate load information. stick to that,it will be spot on.

I am pretty damned sure the answer will be in the hornaday reloading manual

I'm prity sure dave will give me some good data, but I try to pester him as little as possible so he's got more time to do what he dose best haha,

Hornady prints its 140gn factory AMAX load on each 20 round carton to let handloading users duplicate it:

Hornady case
    Fed 210M match primer
    140gn Hornady AMAX 2.800" COAL
    41.9gn H4350

That load gives an average peak chamber pressure of around 58,000 psi, (some 5,000 below the SAAMI max) in a standard SAAMI spec test barrel which is a pretty good place to be. Usefully start a grain lower and fine-tune the load in small increments upwards to whatever the rifle likes around that level.

The 139gn Scenar will produce similar pressures to the 140gn AMAX, marginally lower if anything, but may need the COAL tuning slightly as it has a different nose shape / length from the Hornady bullet.
    Last edited by Laurie; 26-02-2016 at 00:36.

At 2.9" COAL the Lapua bullet load start point with H4350 I'd use would be 39.5 grains theoretically giving about 2600 ft/sec & 46000psi. Obviously Dave needs to qualify this & advise you.

Ian

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Load it as printed on the box. It is the load the cartridge was built around. Ruger chambers their Precision Rifle specifically for this load, at these dimensions. The reason Hornady lists the exact load is so that anyone can duplicate their match loading at home. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is an outstandingly accurate in about any Creedmoor you shoot it in.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Load it as printed on the box. It is the load the cartridge was built around. Ruger chambers their Precision Rifle specifically for this load, at these dimensions. The reason Hornady lists the exact load is so that anyone can duplicate their match loading at home. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is an outstandingly accurate in about any Creedmoor you shoot it in.~Muir

Why would any home loader want to duplicate any factory load unless in the very unlikely event it turns out to be the most accurate (which i would be willing to bet it won't). Unless every rifle was cut with the same reamer etc every rifle will require a slightly different oal/powder charge etc to get the best from it. The whole point of home loading apart from obvious cost savings is to be able to tailor your loads to suit your individual rifle and gain every scrap of it's potential accuracy from it or am i missing something?
    Last edited by RPA 6MM BR; 26-02-2016 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    But careful with that as it seems they have not been using H4350 but some hybrid of other powder.