Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSTs in a 6.5x55

SSTs in a 6.5x55

Hi all, I shot a doe the other day at 175 meters with an sst. This is the first time I have used them in anger but was warned by a few others that SSTs are a bit of a deer masher. What I found was a small hole through the heart with minimal trauma. Maybe because the 6.5 isn't a hot round (I think mv is around 2500 fps).

Anyone else found the same.

Your terminal velocity would have dropped to around 2200fps so I would expect performance to be less dramatic. I found the same with 162 SST that behaved well at longer range but blew things to bits at closer ranges. Still the first priority is to kill things cleanly with meat damage second.

I have done similar shots with the 243 with a soft nose and the effect has been far more pronounced

i load 140 grain sst in 6.5x55 the mv is 2700 i find they are a bit explosive close range, But there generally very good and very fast killing capability, I use them also for park culling fallow all headshot or neck and find there excellent for this.

Hi,
    I used 140 SSTs in my 6.5x55 too and like them because they are the most accurate factory round I could find for my sako. I find that sometimes mash carcasses but other times you get a nice neat tunnel, and I have no idea why. The other thing is that I get about 50% runners, always found dead so not really a problem and the dog likes the work, but I thought SSTs had a reputation of knocking them down on the spot. I'm shooting fallow, Roe, muntjac and admittedly it's a fairly small sample size. All the roe (3) I have shot have run and at least 50 metres. Funnily the muntjac all dropped on the spot or with in 5 metres. ;-)

Anyway, still like them as they do the job and suit my rifle.

Siggy

Interesting comment above. I fired my first SST (.25) today, 117g at a Mv of 3300 I was expect a mashed Muntjac but I got a nice tunnel and the deer dropped on the spot. Going to try on roe tomorrow so will see what the result is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapours View Post
    Interesting comment above. I fired my first SST (.25) today, 117g at a Mv of 3300 I was expect a mashed Muntjac but I got a nice tunnel and the deer dropped on the spot. Going to try on roe tomorrow so will see what the result is then.
    You're asking for trouble running them at that speed. You got lucky on that munty but I gave up on them after mashing too many deer and I was running them at 2900. Sure they will be fine at long range but if they hit bone whilst still travelling at near 3000fps the carcass will look like a mini hand grenade has gone off inside it! They will not run though! They are supremely accurate though so great for head shots!

I home loaded 129g SST`s with 48g of Viht N560. A moderate load compared to some. I never had a problem with excessive damage to carcasses.
    Short range or long range. There stopping power and accuracy were ideal.
    The biggest stag I have ever seen was shot with the above load at approximately 120 yards. I retrieved the sst head from the opposite side of the beast just under the skin.
    It was perfectly mushroomed and done the job.

Last edited by Scarlet; 27-02-2016 at 17:08.

My 140gr SSTs run at 2,660fps MV and nothing has run to date. Shot a roe doe slightly quartered at 178yds a few days ago, and it just dropped. The far shoulder was a bit bent out of shape, but as I only shoot for me, the meat damage is of less importance than the clean kill.

I'm changing to a faster powder (N560 from N160) as I'm getting sooty brass, and a little less of the N560 should sort the possible pressure problem ("problem" as they are clearly accurate enough!)
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    My 140gr SSTs run at 2,660fps MV and nothing has run to date. Shot a roe doe slightly quartered at 178yds a few days ago, and it just dropped. The far shoulder was a bit bent out of shape, but as I only shoot for me, the meat damage is of less importance than the clean kill.

I'm changing to a faster powder (N560 from N160) as I'm getting sooty brass, and a little less of the N560 should sort the possible pressure problem ("problem" as they are clearly accurate enough!)
    A few days ago there was a thread about sooty cases under the reloading heading. It's usually poor sealing when fired that causes the problem and the failure to seal (obdurate) correctly can be put down to a couple of issues.
    A. More propellant charge required, or B. Cases may need annealing or replacing.
    Cheers.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!