Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Countersunk heads?

Countersunk heads?

I recently bought some once fired brass and on sorting through it before cleaning I have noticed something odd on a number of the cases.

there is a countersunk portion of the head surrounding the primer pocket on 10 out of the 100 I bought. I have never seen this before and am not sure if this makes them unsafe to use (so will most likely ditch them).

any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Attachment 67039

I can't see it clearly enough in the photograph Mike to be absolutely positive, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with those cases as I've seen cases like this previously.

I'm guessing that these cases (Federal) came off a lot that has been diverted to commercial and could have been intended for military production in which case they would have had the primers staked or crimped in.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I can't see it clearly enough in the photograph Mike to be absolutely positive, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with those cases as I've seen cases like this previously.

I'm guessing that these cases (Federal) came off a lot that has been diverted to commercial and could have been intended for military production in which case they would have had the primers staked or crimped in.
    Thank you, I'll hold onto them for the time being. I just thought they looked odd and was unsure of why and if they would be safe to reload and treat the same as my other once fired fed cases...

SD Regular
    I'm on a mobile 'phone so can't see much. What calibre? I am guessing someone has over used a neck chamfer tool (instead of a primer pocket reamer) to break the edge. Either because....again I can't see the image well enough...to remove a primer crimp; or because the 'new' primers didn't go in easily? Privi, or more likely, or S & B or RWS primers?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I'm on a mobile 'phone so can't see much. What calibre? I am guessing someone has over used a neck chamfer tool (instead of a primer pocket reamer) to break the edge. Either because....again I can't see the image well enough...to remove a primer crimp; or because the 'new' primers didn't go in easily? Privi, or more likely, or S & B or RWS primers?
    its once fired federal brass .308win, still has the blue surrounding the spent primers so I've no reason to think they've been reloaded or tinkered with....

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    The word you're looking for is counterbore, not countersink.
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Fair enough
    Sorry didn't mean to be pedantic. Think it was confusing people.

Sorry didn't mean to be pedantic. Think it was confusing people.
    Probably was, no offence taken!

It's very hard to see. Which is it?

It's very hard to see. Which is it?
    It looks like a counterbore to me.

Regards Kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.