Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Countersunk heads?

  1. #1

    Countersunk heads?

    I recently bought some once fired brass and on sorting through it before cleaning I have noticed something odd on a number of the cases.

    there is a countersunk portion of the head surrounding the primer pocket on 10 out of the 100 I bought. I have never seen this before and am not sure if this makes them unsafe to use (so will most likely ditch them).

    any thoughts on what might have caused this?

    Attachment 67039

  2. #2
    I can't see it clearly enough in the photograph Mike to be absolutely positive, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with those cases as I've seen cases like this previously.

    I'm guessing that these cases (Federal) came off a lot that has been diverted to commercial and could have been intended for military production in which case they would have had the primers staked or crimped in.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I can't see it clearly enough in the photograph Mike to be absolutely positive, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with those cases as I've seen cases like this previously.

    I'm guessing that these cases (Federal) came off a lot that has been diverted to commercial and could have been intended for military production in which case they would have had the primers staked or crimped in.
    Thank you, I'll hold onto them for the time being. I just thought they looked odd and was unsure of why and if they would be safe to reload and treat the same as my other once fired fed cases...

  4. #4
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,385
    I'm on a mobile 'phone so can't see much. What calibre? I am guessing someone has over used a neck chamfer tool (instead of a primer pocket reamer) to break the edge. Either because....again I can't see the image well enough...to remove a primer crimp; or because the 'new' primers didn't go in easily? Privi, or more likely, or S & B or RWS primers?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I'm on a mobile 'phone so can't see much. What calibre? I am guessing someone has over used a neck chamfer tool (instead of a primer pocket reamer) to break the edge. Either because....again I can't see the image well enough...to remove a primer crimp; or because the 'new' primers didn't go in easily? Privi, or more likely, or S & B or RWS primers?
    its once fired federal brass .308win, still has the blue surrounding the spent primers so I've no reason to think they've been reloaded or tinkered with....

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    The word you're looking for is counterbore, not countersink.
    Fair enough

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Fair enough
    Sorry didn't mean to be pedantic. Think it was confusing people.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Sorry didn't mean to be pedantic. Think it was confusing people.
    Probably was, no offence taken!

  9. #9
    It's very hard to see. Which is it?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    It's very hard to see. Which is it?
    It looks like a counterbore to me.

    Regards Kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Similar Threads

  1. Swap hornaday .224 75 grain heads swap for .224 53 grain v max heads
    By riflehunter583 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-01-2014, 13:01
  2. Swap 308 heads for 223 heads
    By timbeech in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-11-2013, 11:23
  3. *SOLD* sale or swap Amax .224 52grain heads (182 heads)
    By Thoburns in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-07-2012, 18:46
  4. Heads UP for someone
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 16:48
  5. Available heads up
    By tom reveley in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 17:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •