Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faint ring near muzzle on Sako A7 stainless?

Faint ring near muzzle on Sako A7 stainless?

Picked up a brand new Sako A7 a couple of weeks ago, its a medium weight fluted stainless barrel, threaded at the factory. Was just wiping it down last night when I noticed what looked like a faint dark ring on the outside about 5mm down from the threaded end, its not perfectly round - kind of wavers, tried to wipe it away with carbon solvent but it wont budge. Just wondering what it is (my moderator uses a delrin bushing that doesn't actually contact the barrel, and if it did the contact point is about 4" away). Possibly a tooling mark from some sort of steady used when cutting the muzzle threads?

Anyone else seen this on Sako (or Tikka) stainless barrels?

Cheers,

Chris

Ring bulge caused by stuck bullet or some other internal obstruction?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

No bulge, I don't think, but will check with a vernier later!

Just jesting Chris, if you had a ring bulge you would normally feel it just by running your fingers up and down the barrel.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Never rule anything out.... ;-)

I would have thought it was threaded before beeing finished .

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
    Picked up a brand new Sako A7 a couple of weeks ago, its a medium weight fluted stainless barrel, threaded at the factory. Was just wiping it down last night when I noticed what looked like a faint dark ring on the outside about 5mm down from the threaded end, its not perfectly round - kind of wavers, tried to wipe it away with carbon solvent but it wont budge. Just wondering what it is (my moderator uses a delrin bushing that doesn't actually contact the barrel, and if it did the contact point is about 4" away). Possibly a tooling mark from some sort of steady used when cutting the muzzle threads?

Anyone else seen this on Sako (or Tikka) stainless barrels?

Cheers,

Chris
    No! You don't use a steady when cutting the thread. If it is a manufacturing mark it should/would have been picked up by Sako.Take it back if its bothering you.

Has it killed deer / fox etc?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    .Take it back if its bothering you.
    Its faint, not worth returning as the gun shoots very well. Was more curious to see if this is normal with these rifles.

It actually looks like the discoloration you'd get from heat treatment, very slight purple or blue tinge to it. Due to the reflective surface its almost impossible to photograph.

A mark from a steady rest in a lathe?? Though why they would need to use that arrangement is beyond me.~Muir