Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: enhanced learning credits

enhanced learning credits

Can anyone advise I have a close friend just leaving the army asking if he is able to use enhanced learning credits to do level 1 and level 2 course for example at sparsholt college
    If so would 1 lot of credits be used for example of he had 2000 per year available would he be able to do several course to that value he's aware he has to pay a minimum fee of 20% but if so he could achieve several courses with a 2000 pound per year budget however he can only claim this on 3 separate years at 2000 per year
    Any advice would be welcome

Regards

SD Regular
    I've looked into this. SLC's can be used, but ELC's must be used on an ELCAS approved course offering NVQ3 or above as an outcome.
    My advice would be to talk to someone like Des Purdy at Sparsholt and see if there is a registered course in Land Management (or similar) that encompasses those elements. There was some talk of Lackham College also catering for people with ELC's for the same sort of thing, but I don't know whether that got anywhere.

Drop me a PM if you like and I can tell you what little I know.

HTH
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

As above, I used my SLC for my L1, I paid up front and claimed the money back if I remember rightly, your mates local education centre will tell him if courses are eligible. I used my ELC for several H&S courses that were sold as a package. I think that has stopped now and it has to be a single course now?

Just thought, if he can gets his L1 completed before the end of March and claims the SLC. The new financial year starts April he could possibly use next years SLC for his L2 registration??? Dependant on his discharge date.

I claimed SLC's to do both. If he's still in he could possibly still do DSC1 via this route. Funnily enough, I done them both at/via Sparsholt College myself. You cannot use the ELC's for different courses either although several modules that are part of the same final qualification is acceptable (as long as they're level 3). Best he speaks to his Education centre. Use them or lose them!

Thank you guys very informative and great full

One thing to be mindful of is that the ELC is to pay for 80% of an approved course (one from a supplier with an ELC No), to a maximum of 2,000.00. You can claim 3 times. Not to a maximum of 2,000.00 a year.
    The difference being if 80% of a course/ qualification is just 100.00 you can’t use the remaining 1,900.00 on another course/ qualification.
    ELC is available for up to 10 years after leaving the military (if registered).

A lot of it depends on which service ur in. I know it shouldn't as the rules should be the same through out but it is. The army were normally pretty good and would let you use your learning credits for whatever, however the navy are far stricter and require the credits to be be used to benefit the service. From what I understand of it it has to be 3 separate courses up to a maximum value of 2000

Quote Originally Posted by luke_manic View Post
    A lot of it depends on which service ur in. I know it shouldn't as the rules should be the same through out but it is. The army were normally pretty good and would let you use your learning credits for whatever, however the navy are far stricter and require the credits to be be used to benefit the service. From what I understand of it it has to be 3 separate courses up to a maximum value of 2000
    Definitely 100% not true. I have used one ELC and done 4 modules of the required 12 for am Aircraft Maintenance qualification. There is nothing stopping me going back and registering for another 4 on a 2nd ELC. Why quote that when you clearly don't know?

I agree Baguio, I have already used two of my claims both for tree related courses. As far as I am aware the course attended just has to have an NVQ level 3 or equivalent or higher outcome. I have been out 8 years and will use my third credit in the next two years.
    Regards
    Steve

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: http://www.uksha.org or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports