Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Will & Testament

Last Will & Testament

Seriously Off-Topic but in the process of updating my Will, I wonder how we need to make provision for our Firearms in the event of death?
    Bearing in mind that our partners/spouses shouldn't know where the keys to our Gun Cabinets are kept, do we rely on the Executors having to break or cut into the cabinets in order to deal with the guns? Once access has been made, how do Executors dispose of guns etc as none of the beneficiaries will get either my rifle or shotgun? (Bearing in mind no appointed executors have firearms or shotgun certificates)
    I hasten to add that I'm not intending to shuffle off this mortal coil (just yet) and I'm hoping for serious comment from those that have already dealt with their own situations.
    Thanks in advance, downwind
    AKA Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Seriously Off-Topic but in the process of updating my Will, I wonder how we need to make provision for our Firearms in the event of death?
    Bearing in mind that our partners/spouses shouldn't know where the keys to our Gun Cabinets are kept, do we rely on the Executors having to break or cut into the cabinets in order to deal with the guns? Once access has been made, how do Executors dispose of guns etc as none of the beneficiaries will get either my rifle or shotgun? (Bearing in mind no appointed executors have firearms or shotgun certificates)
    I hasten to add that I'm not intending to shuffle off this mortal coil (just yet) and I'm hoping for serious comment from those that have already dealt with their own situations.
    Thanks in advance, downwind
    AKA Pete.
    The surviving spouse or executor may apply to the chief constable for and will usually be granted, a temporary fac in order to correctly dispose of firearms.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

1.10. What happens to the firearms in the event of the death of the owner?

In the event of the death of a certificate holder the
    person inheriting the effects

must surrender or declare the weapons to the police or a registered firearms dealer. Failure to do so would result in the inheritor being in breach of the law by having the firearms in their possession; it is the responsibility of the inheritor to find out whether firearms are part of the deceased effects. Registered firearms dealers will be able to advise on the value of the items and how best to proceed in accordance with the inheritor’s wishes. Options include applying for a firearms licence, selling/transferring the firearm (to a museum or collector) or destroying it.

Permits authorising possession

6.17 Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or the receiver of a bankrupt’s estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter 15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holder’s firearm certificate or shotgun certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.

The real usage of section 7 is above not because departments are under staffed

Tim.243

Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Thanks for the replies and the PM's--all useful input and suggestions
    Regards, Pete.

The main sticking point isn't what to do with your firearms, it's how can your executors get access to them. One method is to lodge keys with your will at the solicitors. Another would be some mechanism whereby on your death your next of kin learns how to access them. Can't think of a foolproof method for this though. You could tell them whilst on your death bed of course, but we aren't always allowed time to sort our affairs out before popping off. Bears thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    The main sticking point isn't what to do with your firearms, it's how can your executors get access to them. One method is to lodge keys with your will at the solicitors. Another would be some mechanism whereby on your death your next of kin learns how to access them. Can't think of a foolproof method for this though. You could tell them whilst on your death bed of course, but we aren't always allowed time to sort our affairs out before popping off. Bears thinking about.

Do you really keep secrets from your spouse? Funny kind or relationship if you do.
    May not "officially" know where the keys are, but realistically.... Living in the same house etc etc? Come on!

The last FEO who I spoke to agreed with me - much more concerned about firearms in households where partners feel they have something to hide from one another.

Set of keys with a mate ?

Sam

A suggestion has been made to lodge a sealed, signed envelope (with the whereabouts of the keys) with the solicitor that is holding the will.
    Sounds like a plan to me

I have a spare set of keys in an RFD's safe. I can't think who else could hold them.

This means that they could uplift them in the event of my untimely death & store/sell/re-distribute etc. as required.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 28-02-2016 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Do you really keep secrets from your spouse? Funny kind or relationship if you do.
    May not "officially" know where the keys are, but realistically.... Living in the same house etc etc? Come on!

The last FEO who I spoke to agreed with me - much more concerned about firearms in households where partners feel they have something to hide from one another.
    I am the only one in my house hold that knows where my keys are,,, watch what your saying on an open forum about your personal firearms security !
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....