Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine room shot and runners

Engine room shot and runners

Hi folks,

I have recently changes game dealers who pays the same for chest shot deer as head/neck shots, so naturally I have just been chest shooting all my last 20 or so fallow, however, every single one of them has legged it between 15-60 yards!

I'm using a .308 with Norma 150 grain BST bullets, yet I shot two earlier in the season with my 7mm rem mag and they both buckled on the spot!

Why is it they run so much with the 308 yet the 7mm they don't??? I can't work it out!!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Hi folks,

I have recently changes game dealers who pays the same for chest shot deer as head/neck shots, so naturally I have just been chest shooting all my last 20 or so fallow, however, every single one of them has legged it between 15-60 yards!

I'm using a .308 with Norma 150 grain BST bullets, yet I shot two earlier in the season with my 7mm rem mag and they both buckled on the spot!

Why is it they run so much with the 308 yet the 7mm they don't??? I can't work it out!!

Alex
    99.9% of Rib ( hear/lung ) shot Deer will run on no matter what calibre or Projectile they are hit with.
    In 40 years of Deer Stalking i have not found the " Magical " Calibre or Projectile that will drop Heart/Lung shot Deer on the spot

IVe always found shooting them higher up the body than half way up and tight to the shoulder more drop than run ��

Quote Originally Posted by bigyin View Post
    IVe always found shooting them higher up the body than half way up and tight to the shoulder more drop than run ��

+1

I have found that BT bullets in the chest tend to cause runners. Have switched to Barnes bullets which driven fast enough has got me back to bang flops. 120 grain Nosler BT in 6.5 Lapua at 2960 fps resulted in 80% + runners and a lot of carcass damage. 100 grain Barnes in the same gun at 3260 fps seems to be dropping them on the spot and causes much less carcass damage.

A few have reported that the 130 TTSX in .308 at around 3000 fps is very effective. Might be worth a try.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Yup, that certainly works
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

+1 plus Norma soft points
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    99.9% of Rib ( hear/lung ) shot Deer will run on no matter what calibre or Projectile they are hit with.
    In 40 years of Deer Stalking i have not found the " Magical " Calibre or Projectile that will drop Heart/Lung shot Deer on the spot
    Sorry in the 40+ years I've been doing the same, I can not agree.
    I put this point across on the thread about tsx bullets.
    I have had hundreds of Roe shot in the heart/lung area by my clients using 85 grn hpbt and 99% drop to shot, yet using soft points etc in the same gun 90% were runners, I can say the same for 7x64.
    And when you go up in size, well it all depends, eg my 375HH has dropped all European game on the spot to a heart shot.
    It just depends on what you hit the Heart with.

I shoot a fair number with .308 Norma 150 BSTs - fallow, roe and occasional red hind.

In general, I love it. None of the adult fallow I've shot with them have gone more than a few steps - even with some less than ideal shot placement. Most have fallen where they stood.

The roe and young fallow do tend to run a bit more - maybe 10-50 steps. I really have no idea why.

On balance, as far as I can tell after accounting for all the other things that affect whether a beast runs of not, they give the fewest runners of anything I've tried. And, as has been said, aiming a touch higher certainly helps.

I will try and aim a bit higher and see what happens!