Easy to use smartphone

Hales Smut

Up to this moment I am a Nokia man. Simple, small, reliable, good connection, close to perfect. The only thing I would like to add is a decent camera. So the question is simple, but the answer probably isn't. Is there an easy to use, reliable smartphone, not to big to fit is a trouserpocket, excellent battery life, good connection, ....... ? Or should I better stay with a traditional Phone.
I hardly sent any tekst messages. Need glasses for this and they are not always in my pockets. I use my phone to call, but a camera could sometimes be usefull.

Stick with your Nokia,smart phones are OK but with your list of requirements would be overkill and touch screen is a beast to get used to!!

I agree with 2130.

I have a Nokia C3 (qwerty keypad) for everyday use including taking pics and a Samsung Note for the internet.
Which one would l miss most?- The Nokia for sure!

Just get a small camera; it will be so much better.

I will say though that I've seen some surprisingly good shots from the bigger phones but they've been nearly the size of i-pads & look very fragile.

Not necessarily this specific camera but something along these lines would be very handy & as the lens retracts is probably about the same size as a small mobile;

http://www.johnlewis.com/nikon-coolpix-s7000-digital-camera-16mp-hd-1080p-20x-optical-zoom-wi-fi-nfc-3-lcd-screen/p1896216?sku=234291442&kpid=234291442&s_kenid=a8c78743-f748-42d3-a8ff-b9c3b52b73c8&s_kwcid=402x364854&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

I had my basic Nokia for years, had it for years, i even dropped from the top of a BT pole when i worked for the, it bounced on the road, didn't fall apart, and when i picked it out of the wet grass it still worked!

But, i felt the need to get a Smartphone, for various reasons, and the one i settled on, which has been very reliable, and for you has a great camera, is a Moto G, no complaints here.

Cheers

Richard

If you want the best smart pnone then buy a Galazy S5. Firstly it takes brilliant pictures, removable battery and micro SD card and is to a degree waterproof and highly dust resisitant. I have a really good lumix pocket camera but invarriably take all my pictures on my Galaxy. Link it up to your G mail account and everything automatically is updated so no worries if you loose or destroy it. Currently I have 4 k pics on my phone all backed up.

I have some great 10x8's prints made from some pictures and Jessops were very impressed by the picture quality and resolution.

Car phone Warehouse have a link up with samsung so you can book yourself into a user course and that will be a great benifit.

D

Get an Iphone and you'll never look back. Iphone 5s would be my choice.

I got rid of my iPhone a few months ago and I wouldn't have another given!!! I got a Sony Xperia, far more user friendly, better battery life, better camera by far, I'd have been better off with an exasketch than the camera on the iPhone, truly terrible, I came out of the phone shop like a men being released from prison when I got rid of it!!!!! I've got a "LOVE MEI" case for the Sony, great case.

i too was a bog standard nokia man - however the Mrs got me a Motorola G3 for xmas.

i really can't praise it enough, it really is waterproof - not just rain waterproof, but drop it down the toilet waterproof - the camera is excellent, and what i've found is that while it does far more than i ever wanted my old phone to do, i now do far more than i did on my old phone!

like all smartphones, the day of the 2 week battery life is long gone, however it will take - for example - half a dozen texts, a 5 minute phone call, a weather forecast check, half an hours web browsing a day for 4 days on one charge. silly things like turning it off at night will turn 2 days charge into 4 days charge...

my advice, whatever smartphone you decide to get, would be to get a leather phone case for about £5 on fleabay - it not only protects it from falls and bumps etc.. but stops it dialing people from the comfort of your pocket...

I had a Sony Ericsson K800i camera phone when they first came out...excellent camera. Then went on to a Sony Ericsson PL1 same resolution camera but not as camera oriented regarding lens quality, controls and flash.

I have subsequently had iPhone 5 and now an iPhone 6 both well protected in Griffin Survivor cases.

The camera is much higher resolution then the Sonys' and it can do clever things like HD video. It does require you to take your gloves off to operate via the touch screen which is a disadvantage over the Sonys.

The huge advantage of a camera phone over a separate phone and camera is that it is always with you.

Providing you have a signal, the photos are immediately saved to the cloud. So if you subsequent drop or lose the phone they are still available.

The iPhone has GPS so you can show where every photo was taken on a map or satellite view. Useful for a deer survey and for a record of every animal shot.

You also have just the one thing to carry and keep charged up.

I have a Nikon D300 DSLR which I now only lug about if I need a telephoto lens or the photos are for publishing quality.

Battery life depends on the use and the signal strength. You can extend it by shutting down the bells and whistles like Data updates, GPS tracking and 4G if you don't need them. I normally top the battery up every couple of days.

As far as the easy to use bit goes I have no idea about Apple's current competition. My mum is going to celebrate her 93 birthday tomorrow. Her first computer/email/internet use started 4 years ago and she has been using an iPad and now my old iPhone 5 and seems to manage iPlayer, email and web browsing even with arthritic fingers!

Alan

Last edited:
My mrs bought me a moto G too - has survived 3 years but I do feel that it is likely to break at any time, the camera is OK for basic shots but not great in my opinion.

A friend of mine that I go canoeing with bought a Jeep Z6 for about £70 which is called a rugged phone, fully waterproof (and it most certainly is) with an 8 MP camera. It takes good pics and he does not have to worry about getting it wet or dropping it. He also has an iphone but as there is always a chance canoeing that it will get lost £70 v £700+ is really no contest.

Don't get an HTC! Horrible total crap! Over the years I've had Motorola (very bad), Ericsson (very good), Nokia (very good), Samsung (confusing operating system), HTC.

Other that Motorola the HTC was the worst. Also being Android you can't just download BBC iPlayer like you can with Windows or listen to Test Match or etc by just going to BBC website.

Only thing with HTC is it is so crap it isn't desirable to thieves! But, trust me on this, they are crap!

My S5 lives in a Tech 21 case and has a proper screen protector, lifetime guarantee. I think the S5 is waterproof to 1m for 1 hr so plenty good enough and mine has survived numerous drops and falls. Cannot rate it highly enough.

D

Go for it and get a samsung galaxy.....will be a bit alien to start with if your not used to smart phones but you'll get used to it and wonder how you ever managed without one before!

I have a recent upgrade galaxy s6 . Really don't like it at all , it's going back in its box where it came from . And will continue to to use my old Nokia.

You don't need a smartphone, you need a roughy toughy Nokia that has a camera in it
Solution - Nokia 3720C
It'll do everything you want although internet access is a bit slow and the screen rather small for displaying image rich pages

Cheers

Bruce

Get an Iphone and you'll never look back. Iphone 5s would be my choice.
5s has limited shelf life left in them and still isn't cheap, 5c went EOL last year. Not terribly robust either and all Apples need a power bar with them...

Samsung s5 neo is water resistant, good camera, robust, good battery life.
Nokia 6 series will do everything you need it to at a good price, limited apps but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you.
Robust, good battery life.

5s has limited shelf life left in them and still isn't cheap, 5c went EOL last year. Not terribly robust either and all Apples need a power bar with them...

Samsung s5 neo is water resistant, good camera, robust, good battery life.
Nokia 6 series will do everything you need it to at a good price, limited apps but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you.
Robust, good battery life.

What do you mean by limited shelf life for the 5s?

Back