Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 222 Rem Rifle

222 Rem Rifle

Hi i am thinking to buy a 222 rem to use for roebuck hunting under 100 meters(110 yards) and as training rifle.
    I haven't a great budget in fact I will go on a second hand vintage rifle, I am in doubt mainly between Tikka M55 and Anschutz 1530, can you give me your advice about the calibre for the usages and about which rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Capreolus257 View Post
    Hi i am thinking to buy a 222 rem to use for roebuck hunting under 100 meters(110 yards) and as training rifle.
    I haven't a great budget in fact I will go on a second hand vintage rifle, I am in doubt mainly between Tikka M55 and Anschutz 1530, can you give me your advice about the calibre for the usages and about which rifle?
    I am a big convert and fan of the .222 having sold a .243 to switch to one
    Don't think that it is a 100yd cartridge though, it punches well above its weight on roe
    I used the first one for fox and roe proven out to 200 yds
    mixture of 50gr VMax. 53gr AMax and 60gr Hornady SP

I have/had three date
    A BRNO/CZ, either of the Fox or the 527 are good solid rifles
    Mini Mauser controlled feed action is not everyone's cup of tea but they work well and are accurate
    and are all metal construction

Won't go wrong with a Tikka. they seem to shoot very well out of the box in all calibres

I now have a Sako S491 and a Handi Rifle in .222
    Sako was a bit round fussy but now I have found its preferred diet it is very good
    Handi rifle is a work in progress but has already proven to shoot 60gr soft points well

Thank you for your feedback, also my father has a very old CZ in 222 and it is a great rifle.
    Do you have use the Amax only for foz or also for roebuck? If you have used can give me some advice?

I use a tikka t3 which is just a newer version of the m55 (not necessarily better) and its a great wee rifle, perfect calibre for roe stalking. Very comfortable taking roe out to 200+ yards. Minimum recoil, you can see the shot hit, not loud compared to some of the bigger centre fires and due to the 222 not being as popular as the 223 there is plenty good buys to be had second hand. i shoot 50gr vmax and 55gr sierra gameheads and its really accurate with both. I would say the soft points are a bit better for deer, less damage, I mainly use the vmax for fox.

Thank you for your feedback, also my father has a very old CZ in 222 and it is a great rifle.
    Do you have use the Amax only for foz or also for roebuck? If you have used can give me some advice?
    contentious issue over here
    AMax are listed as a target bullet officially so are not subject to the restrictions on Sec 5 exempt expanding ammunition ( in practice soft point, hollow point some ballistic tipped or those designed for controlled expansion)

do they work on game? undoubtedly
    are there better choices? undoubtedly

I use a tikka 595 in 222, works a treat on live targets to 200, 300+ on rabbits. Shoots 50gr vmax well enough to hit a 12" plate at 871 yards. I reguarly use it to 600 yards at bisley, and if the weather is kind, can stay within the vbull.
    Drops everything it hits, easy to load for, accurate, no recoil.
    Whats to dislike ? Im still looking....
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Thank you for help i will try to take the Tikka, which powder do you use for the reloading?
    @The tramp which scope do you use on the m595?

Thank you for help i will try to take the Tikka, which powder do you use for the reloading?
    @The tramp which scope do you use on the m595?

VV N130, 133
    RL7
    H322, H355

all work well
    am using N133 and H355 now

I have a Annie 1740 in .222. Mine has a double set trigger and monte-Carlo stock. This is without doubt my favourite rifle, it is just beautifully made-it is a real joy to use and very, very accurate, due no doubt to the match grade action and barrel. Mine is cut to 20 inches as .222 does not need the full 24 and it handles a lot better.

Mine is typically used for foxes but I have taken roe north of the border and it is more than up to the job. If it were legal it would be my go-to roe rifle at home. The Annie makes a lovely classic style stalker-if you can find one with a set trigger that's even better, if it's your thing. Nothing wrong with a tikka but I think the workmanship and out of the box accuracy of Anschutz is unparalleled. ATB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	966.6 KB 
ID:	67232

Said rifle-couple of years ago in Scottish Borders.