Javelin bipods

What is everyone's views on javelin bipods? Anyone here using one?, I have just purchased one for my sako 85 with wooden stock on the basis that it's quite a heavy rifle already and a big lump of a Harris would make it heavier. Also I can remove it easily.
Anyone else's experiences would be interesting.

Watching with interest I also have a Sako 85 and really see the benefits of a Javelin wanting to add one to my kit list!

Got one and love it.
There's still a place for a Harris, but only if I was going to wait out where I needed a bipod the whole time.

I have them all fitted to my blaser(s) and love them, easy removed when on the sticks and fits in the pocket or bum bag if I need to take a prone shot....

I'm not a fan of bipods but can definitely see the point of one of these. My Sako 75 (extended wooden stock) never shoots well from bipods & only shoots at all with a very firm grip on the fore end to control the bounce. My idea was to fit the recessed mount into the stock as suggested but with a forward-facing angle to allow me to really dig the feet in to counter the bounce; may do it yet as an experiment.

This has been done at least twice. I started the first one! Try the advanced search!

Great bipod have one fitted to my R8 in 6.5x55 very handy sits in my pocket
really recommend them,Harris are good, but the Javelin is just so convenient to fit and remove as and when
you need it...
Tikka595

Bought the MK2 long version a couple of weeks ago. Used for zero check only at moment. First impressions are very positive and great to be able to carry in the stalking jacket rather than the weight, unbalancing and "tangle factor" of a permanent harris on the rifle as most of my lowland stalking shots are off sticks or occasionally from high seats. Look forward to some proper testing on the hill on the Scotland trips later in the year.

I have them all fitted to my blaser(s) and love them, easy removed when on the sticks and fits in the pocket or bum bag if I need to take a prone shot....

Do you have the Blaser specific model with additional modified forend or the standard Javelin - if the latter, how does the magnetic plate attach to the forend? Thanks in advance

I saw these for the first time the other day.
Left me completely baffled as to why there is a need for them. A bipod is hardly the heaviest thing in the world and the additional faff of getting prone then opening your pocket and finding it clipping it on hardly seems worth it for marginal weight savings. I know my luck and by the time ive done all of that the deer would have buggered off

Left me completely baffled as to why there is a need for them. A bipod is hardly the heaviest thing in the world and the additional faff of getting prone then opening your pocket and finding it clipping it on hardly seems worth it for marginal weight savings. I know my luck and by the time ive done all of that the deer would have buggered off
Depends how often you actually use a bi-pod I guess? Mine sits on the front end of my rifle permanently and IMO is NOT a marginal weight when its well forward of the centre of balance. It is rarely actually used to shoot deer as it's so flat down my way that 90% of my deer are shot from sticks. If I end up using a bi-pod I usually have all the time in the world to take the shot so not too worried about the deer clearing off. Additionally, the Harris does tend to snag on clothing rather a lot!
A Javelin is definately on the wish list for me!

I think that unless you are shooting on the hill where most of your shots will be taken from prone a bipod on a rifle is nothing but extra weigh and an absolute hindrance to shooting. I only use my bipods though they are quick release versa-pods on the range. I have seen and even used used the Javelin bipod and I think its a brilliant piece of design and if I used a bipod more would definitely consider buying one even if they are quite pricey.

I think that unless you are shooting on the hill where most of your shots will be taken from prone a bipod on a rifle is nothing but extra weigh and an absolute hindrance to shooting. I only use my bipods though they are quick release versa-pods on the range. I have seen and even used used the Javelin bipod and I think its a brilliant piece of design and if I used a bipod more would definitely consider buying one even if they are quite pricey.

Ditto

The greatest design feature is also the greatest design flaw.... They are detachable and therefore very easily lost !!! Brilliant piece of kit but having left one somewhere in the Eastern Cape I will not be buying another.

As already stated in the U.K I only tend to use a bipod when on the hill, see no use for them in woodland stalking.

Cheers

Ed

I use my bipod less and less now due to the weight. It deffinately upsets the balance of the rifle and over a long day can make a difference. The Javelin makes sense but is very looseable! That being said my Limulus sticks allow me to be stable out to 150yards, any longer shots I rest on by back pack/waist pack, so the bipod is priety redundant. The biggest thing against them is the price. I can think of a lot more important things I would buy with £250 than a detachable bipod. Better glass, reloading kit, range finder, lightweight moderator….....

I don't see them as being detachable and therefore liable to loss as being any worse than other bipods. I know a couple of shooters who have left Harris bipods behind on occasion, and I went through a phase of leaving my shooting sticks everywhere. Just as well that I'm a real tight arse and only use cheap old bean poles or sticks that I cut when walking the dog.

Yes the price is the big stumbling block with the Javelin but I think you are being ripped off if you are paying £250 for them big ears as the website shows the price as being £199.

Last edited:
Back