Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New rifle - encouraging start

  1. #1

    New rifle - encouraging start

    My new (to me) T3 .308 has been sitting in the cabinet since about October after my FAC landing the month before. Eventually got round to mounting my scope and got a bipod off here which arrived Friday so finally everything was in place to see if it was a shooter thanks to a generous offer to help with some ground and assistance to get it zeroed in.

    No range finder so this was at a paced distance of 100 yards and shots taken prone off the bipod and a scrunched up rucksack operating as a rear bag but I'm more than happy with the outcome. Took a few shots to get it on the paper and then some fine tuning but looks like I'll not be able to blame the gun.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 group.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	577.5 KB 
ID:	67159

    The shots on the middle target show the markers for the last 2 adjusments for windage and height and then a final group of 4. I think I need to have another session once I can get hands on a rangefinder... I've looked at the MPBR calculation for the ammo I'm using (Federal 150g SP) and think I need to be a touch higher at 100 yards in order to get a useable MPBR out to about 200.

    Deer next!

  2. #2
    Not shabby at all for first go.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  3. #3
    A touch of vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up?
    So much to learn and so little time left

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    A touch of vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up?
    Could well be. I wasn't hanging about too long between shots as it was just about getting the initial zero close rather than going for a best group. How long is prudent between shots to rule barrel heating out of the equation (it's the heavy varmint barrel)?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Not shabby at all for first go.
    Thanks mate. I was pretty chuffed. Coincidentally I reckon it was close to 1 year to the day since I submitted my FAC application so to finally be firing my own rifle seemed like a big step for me and I was like a dog with two tails for the rest of the weekend!

    Now just need to get out with it again.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Could well be. I wasn't hanging about too long between shots as it was just about getting the initial zero close rather than going for a best group. How long is prudent between shots to rule barrel heating out of the equation (it's the heavy varmint barrel)?
    Every barrel reacts differently to the effect of warming up but generally group sizes increase. Heavy barrels heat up more slowly but when warm take longer to cool down. My system is shoot, remove spent case, leaving bolt open and wait until the mod and / or barrel feels cool to the touch. The second shot can be quite soon after the first but successive shots may be several minutes apart.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    My system is shoot, remove spent case, leaving bolt open and wait until the mod and / or barrel feels cool to the touch. The second shot can be quite soon after the first but successive shots may be several minutes apart.
    Understood, but I'd suggest that it's also worth getting a feel for 'real world' performance, just in case your target group of deer decide not to co-operate with your ideal timings :-)

  8. #8
    If that first foray into the rifles grouping characteristics was @, or further than 100 yards, it's still going to be deer deadly at respectable ranges.

    Think about the requirement to land a number of rounds within a four inch circle to shoot on Arran?.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-YOP View Post
    Understood, but I'd suggest that it's also worth getting a feel for 'real world' performance, just in case your target group of deer decide not to co-operate with your ideal timings :-)
    Agreed . Once i've proved a load to be accurate I will shoot a 3 - 5 shot group as quick as I can aim in order to assess "field" accuracy.

Similar Threads

  1. Encouraging Young Guns
    By Gazza in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 09:52
  2. good start with new rifle
    By ksb in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 08:23
  3. Checking rifle at start of season
    By reddeer1 in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-09-2011, 13:10
  4. Encouraging people to try shooting...
    By caorach in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 07:13
  5. Rifle Cleaning items - where to start
    By rigboot in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-11-2010, 14:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •