Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 mag issues

Tikka T3 mag issues

I had my first outing with my second hand .308 T3 at the weekend - no deer, just zeroing and a bit of practice. It's the varmint version with 5 shot magazine and in the process of getting through a box of ammo discovered I had an issue feeding the second last round each time.

First time it happened thought it was a misfire but after the appropriate drill we opened to bolt to confirm no round had in fact been picked up. Now aware of it I monitored the next few occassions and could see the same thing was happening each time. Seems like on that particular round out the mag (always second last one) the bolt is skimming over the case without picking up the round. A gentle prod with a finger seems to raise the round sufficiently for it to be picked up. The rounds before and the final round following it picked up fine so we guessed there might be a flat spot in the spring that's preventing the round being lifted high enough into the chamber.

Anyone experienced that? And is there anything worth trying to fix it (besides sucking up the cost of a new mag...).

Cheers,

Andy

I had a similar problem. Took the spring out and gave it a good stretch which sorted the problem. I now tend to load only 4 in the mag now. I I often leave the mag charged in the cabinet and the problem has not repeated. Bryn

This has probably been caused by a previous owner storing the mag still loaded with five rounds, causing the spring to lose tension, in my experience once this happens no amount of stretching the spring will rectify the problem.

Atb WB.

Just been doing some more searching and now seen two accounts (one on here) of a similar issue being resolved by disassembling the mag and reversing the spring. Theory being the poor feed is caused by the base of the cartridge not being lifted high enough and that reversing the spring fixes this by putting more pressure on the rear of the follower. Thoughts?

I am sure that if the previous owner stored the mag with rounds in it for long periods of time, that will have compressed the spring, if only slightly.
    I use graphite dust on the inside of my T3 mags: messy, but reduces the chance of the follower snagging the sides of the mag.
    I would be careful about reversing the spring, in case this reduces the support below the base of the rounds.

Just been checking it out again with the mag removed and some empty cases and on the final two rounds there is not enough tension to hold the rear of the case up and the follower seems prone to tipping back and the front of it catching on the front wall of the mag. Result is the bolt is skimming over the case. Popped out the follower and reversed the spring and all seems infinitely better! More tension and the follower remains stable even under the reduced compression of the last couple of rounds. Even pushing the rear of the case down intentionally it just springs back into the correct alignment. Cautiously optimistic that it's fixed but will need to wait for another zeroing session to confirm. Certainly worth trying before springing for a new magazine.

Think what happens is when there's five in its very tight and has the bolt pushers each round in the bottom rounds get pushed forward and get snarled that's what happens with mine so only put three in but if you can get away with four even better

Yet I see many people on these forums extolling the virtues and quality of Tikka T3 rifles and advising people to go and buy them. Odd then that it looks like this is not an uncommon problem yet it is glossed over.

I have also noted the snide remarks and mocking of our home grown products like BSA and Parker-Hale yet I have never heard of problems like this with those makes.

Thank you all for bringing this T3 issue to my attention and I shall bear it in mind when looking at rifles. The T3 is now one to watch out for and check over more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Yet I see many people on these forums extolling the virtues and quality of Tikka T3 rifles and advising people to go and buy them. Odd then that it looks like this is not an uncommon problem yet it is glossed over.

I have also noted the snide remarks and mocking of our home grown products like BSA and Parker-Hale yet I have never heard of problems like this with those makes.

Thank you all for bringing this T3 issue to my attention and I shall bear it in mind when looking at rifles. The T3 is now one to watch out for and check over more carefully.
    Fair comment I suppose. Google suggests it's certainly a known issue, if not a common one. One theory seems to be it could be caused by storing the mag for prolonged periods of time fully loaded. However, I've no idea if that's known to be not good practice or is something you should be able to do without it impacting magazine performance...

Interestingly, one of the threads that pointed to reversing the spring was from a US forum and the guy concerned returned his faulty magazine to Beretta and it was their technical report which advised that the spring was the wrong way round and they reversed it.

So, no real idea if it's down to the spring losing tension or if in fact there's a right and wrong way for the spring to be oriented. All I can say is that on mine the action and stability of the follower seems 'right' now that I've reversed the spring and you can't manually recreate the issue I was having.

It really is not a theory: NO magazine, 5 rds or 30 rds, civil or military, should/can be stored for long periods of time fully loaded. Eventually it will over-compress the spring, and you will get rounds mis-feeding. While there may be small differences in the quality of manufacture between different companies/designs (for example, the British Army replaced ALL of its original Royal Ordnance-supplied SA80 magazines with H&K ones, which gave improvements in feed reliability), ultimately this is an issue of the metallurgy of springs.