Tikka T3 mag issues

I had a .222 Tikka 595 for something like 12 years and over that time I put roughly around 14,000 rounds through the rifle using mainly the original polymer magazine that came with the rifle though at a later date I did acquire a couple of spare magazines including two metal 6 shot magazines. I never had any problems or trouble whatsoever with any of these magazines.

Yet in the last couple of years two or three fellow rifle club members have experienced problems with magazines in new Tikka rifles. The one chap had a .308 magazine replaced twice. I wonder if there has been a problem with the polymer mix at some time or is it just a poor design for some cartridges?
I can't say that I have become particularly aware of any other make of rifle that uses polymer magazines having a similar problem so clearly polymer magazines can work though my personal preference would usually be for a magazine with metal lips because I'm just old fashioned.

You would think with a consistent problem with the rifle magazine that Tikka/Sako would recall the Magzines and replace with Fit for purpose one,s.

I don't know if you would call it a consistent problem because I've seen an awful lot of Tikka rifles and it's only a few that had a problem.

Anyway I lied earlier when I said that I couldn't recall any other makes having problems with polymer mags and feed lips, I forgot about a certain make of aftermarket mag for the Ruger 10/22.

With kind thanks Roy, for the heads up on the new 10 round mag , I orderd my one today from Riflemags ,looking forward to getting it and also looking forward to burning the old yins.

T3 Faulty Mag 5.jpgT3 faulty mag 4.jpgT3 Faulty Mag 3.jpgT3 Faulty Mag 2.JPG

Tikka T3 plastic Magazine.
Have tried to show wear on the front of guide rail "lips, this wear allows the cartridge to "See-Saw" with the nose going up and the head going down. The head of the cartridge is now below the normal level, and the bolt now fails to engage, riding over the case.
Hope this assists anyone with similar feed problems.
Regards
Roy

Had this problem on my T3 tactical in 223, the bolt would often ride over the round instead of chambering it, I think the lips on the front of the magazine wear allowing the tip of the round to rise, the back of the round can then easily be depressed back into the magazine allowing the bolt to ride over it.

I took the mag apart and reversed the spring. The Spring pressure was now greater at the rear of the follower , this kept the round horizontal and the bolt then chambered the rounds fine from that point on.

Hello Paultap,
Useful information and remedy, if the magazine was out of warranty then I would also look for a DIY remedy/modification. However, in my case the magazine is just 1 month old, with less than 200 rounds used, so it will be returned to the manufacturer because I believe it unfit for purpose; I will not be taking the magazine apart and void the 2 year warranty. Manufactures should be informed of any failings with their goods and held to account. If the plastic is sub-standard or they are installing the springs the wrong way round then I believe it is up to them to sort it out. I'm just pleased that aftermarket aluminium T3 10-round magazines exist. I always purchase a spare magazine with any rifle I own, I had a second plastic Tikka T3 magazine on order - now cancelled.
Regards
Roy

royr you won't void the warranty merely by stripping the magazine, after all you need to strip it for cleaning now and then anyway.

Have had the problematic feeding with my .223 Supervarmint for some time. From round #3 on, the bolt mostly passes over the round due to the tilting up at the projectile end. Click. Followed by F**K as the goat / pig / hare moves into cover and the kill is lost. Cause: worn feedlips. Rifle is 3.5 yrs old and about 500 rounds. Problem started at about 200 with #4 and has steadily worsened.

Read the various threads on this forum, and...

Step 1

A) Made up some dummy rounds, filled the mag, clamped it to an estimated 'fix' position, heated it with a heat gun, cooled in water.

B) Stretched the spring slightly.

C) A fix that I don't think was posted - I superglued a 1.5mm bit of rubber to the rear end of the follower to remove the horizontal play.

First time I tested it, problem solved, clean feeding over and over again. So to whoever posted the heating fix, THANK YOU.

Step 2

Read the forum member's experience with Beretta Aus and their willingness to replace the mag out of warranty. Emailed them, got immediate response: yes, we will replace the mag free of charge. Should probably have done this step before step 1, eh... but no worries, a great attitude from Beretta.

Step 3

Read all about the Waters Gen 4 aluminium mags from our neighbour over the ditch... ooohhhh I wanted one, so I got one, bloody marvellous bit of engineering, real quality. Same price as a polymer one. And 10 rounds to boot.

So all up a very productive bit of problem solving, a big thank you to The Stalking Directory. GOOD JOB fellas, this is the kind of thing quality forums are all about.

When I had my t3 I had to make sure the mag was pushed right home but it was stiff and was a right pain to then try and remove it ( 3 shot) it was as tho the floor plate was to tight for it to fit in properly

try stretch the spring a little and ensure the mag is clean then ensure the mag follower is not scored then try lubricating or polishing the follower any silicon type polish will do

Resurrecting the thread.

I home load and sent my 3 round T3 mag to The Shooting Shed to have it modified for the longer round. They did a great job, but a couple of hundred rounds later and the lips of the mag are worn down as described earlier in the thread.

Im looking for a metal replacement now, but the 10 round mag is too big for my liking. Anyone know a supplier who does a 5 round mag?

Cheers

Resurrecting this thread. Copying latest information from the "Rifles & Calibres" T3 mag worn out thread.
Gents this may be of interest:-
Info' from Mountainstalker, Australia, regarding 'lip-wear' & cartridge mis-feeding with the T3 polymer magazine<

The problem is calibre specific to .223 mostly. worst if you use Lapua brass. Lapua cases chew the plastic lips out as the bolt drives them forward. Tikka here (Australia) replace the original mags with steel lipped factory versions for a small fee. Beretta are well aware of the issue globally, It's been going on for almost 10 years now!

Hello Mountainstalker,
Brilliant, I think the definitive information you've just given here, concludes my and other's quest for an answer, but I'm dismayed this has been known about for 10 years!!!
I'm now really disappointed with Tikka and GMK for not informing their buying customers in the UK of this known global problem with the T3 .223 calibre magazine. You inform us that Tikka /Beretta have acknowledged this problem and have even produced a modified T3 magazine to resolve the "lip wear" issue. So, why I ask, was there not a general "recall" of these T3 magazines, as sometimes happens in the motor or electrical appliance industry?

Just 18 months ago, when my 1st magazine failed, GMK initially told me they were not aware of any T3 problems, then after I searched numerous "shooting" forums and showed them the evidence of my findings, they then told me that after making their own inquires, there was indeed a LOW INCIDENT rate of T3 magazine failures; either they were being economical with the truth or it was known, IMHO, but no-one wanted this bad news to be made public? Well it is in the UK public domain now!
Mountainstalker, I'll convey your information to my contact at GMK. Bill Moore, and push hard for him to acquire a replacement .223 Beretta Modified T3 magazine (with metal lips) - under warranty of course, because the current ones I've been supplied with are, as I describe, "not fit for purpose".

These Forums are great places for info'.:)
Thanks Gents,
Regards
Roy

Last edited:
good evening if you are contacting gmk can you ask how other forum members can get metal lipped magazines please.

Hello Banus,
Sure, of course I'll post any developments here.
I e-mailed all relevant information to GMK this morning, and awaiting their response.

I also e-mailed same info' to Peter at Wilson & Wilson, the Ramsgate Gun shop where I purchased the T3 Super Varmint S/S, Peter and staff have been fantastic in supporting me in this venture.
Regards
Roy

Good afternoon Gents,
3.5 months since I initiated the request, plus interim e-mails to GMK, for a metal-lipped 6-round T3 Magazine for my .223, I now have one being shipped to Wilsons & Wilsons at Ramsgate as a free replacement. Received the confirmation e-mail from GMK this morning.
It's arriving in the nick of time, because the fifth replacement T3 plastic magazine "lips" have worn again & is now starting to misfeed, costing me follow-up shots on a second fox cub; has happened twice now.
So will make an initial report with photos on the Metal-lipped T3 magazine as soon as I acquire it.

Regards
Roy

Last edited:
SAM_0424.jpgSAM_0421.JPGSAM_0425.JPG

Afternoon Gents,
Collected my free, complementary modified T3 .223 magazine from GMK, at Wilson & Wilson RFD, Ramsgate, this morning.

1st picture, top view:- The metal insert is made from one piece, which has been cut and bent to go inside the existing plastic case, the front section of the guide rails have been cut back. For Reloaders there is an extra 0.020" (20thou) of OAL @ 2.320".
2nd picture:- the bolt pick-up is now more robust as can be seen, in that the modified mag has lifted the cartridge head higher, with some of the primer showing.
3rd picture:- front view showing the cut back guide rails.

Phoning GMK this morning inquiring about price of modified T3/T3X magazines, they've given me a ballpark figure of £75 plus or minus whatever the RFD dealer mark-up may be. Also GMK now have a range of these metal modified T3 magazines in stock to suite most T3/T3X calibres.

I would urge anyone finding themselves in a similar position to myself within the warranty period to claim a replacement metal magazine under warranty - free of charge.

Best regards
RoyR

PS. 7 days later. After a weeks usage I can report the Modified, metal lipped magazine has been a joy to use. The cartridge glides very smoothly into the breech, gone is that drag factor caused by the cartridge head as it shaved the soft plastic guide rails. Think this bodes well for prolonged usage.

Last edited:
Afternoon Gents,
Update.
Regarding the T3 .223 modified metal-lipped magazine, 250 rounds now used and it's still working perfectly, no feed issues whatever. No signs of any wear, excellent!
Thanks to GMK again for this free replacement.
Regards
RoyR

Back