Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is night vision dead?

Is night vision dead?

With the ever decreasing cost of very good thermal imaging are we reaching the end for high end night vision spotters/scopes?
    its easy enough to make a NV add on or spotter that whilst not at the same level as a tubed gen 2-3 system is far cheaper and has reasonable distance capabilities.
    Thermal, to my eyes, is a game changer for both foxing and deer 'stalking'.

whats your thoughts?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    With the ever decreasing cost of very good thermal imaging are we reaching the end for high end night vision spotters/scopes?
    its easy enough to make a NV add on or spotter that whilst not at the same level as a tubed gen 2-3 system is far cheaper and has reasonable distance capabilities.
    Thermal, to my eyes, is a game changer for both foxing and deer 'stalking'.

whats your thoughts?
    Nv is becoming cheaper and cheaper.If you normally shoot foxes under the lamp fro 50 to 200m then you can now do this easily with a photon xt.This can be done for 400 which I think is an unbelievable price.I'm sure the more expensive models are a bit crisper or a more refined image but for me it ain't worth the cost.
    I'm sure the scopes will just get better and better and cheaper and cheaper.

My Photon XT arrived today, but I don't have the scope mounts yet. I just walked into the field next to my house to try it out and walked into two foxes within 40 yards. Bet it won't be that easy once it is mounted on a rifle!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    well I have been using the drone pro for a fare while now,

love it to bits, in fact a mate helped me out with the latest one and it's just what I need for the lambing that's in full,swing here,

i dislike thermal as my eyes can't deal with the image quality ( and my wallet can not even get close to the prices) but that's just me, the drone with the sunnranger is spot on and I have been taking rabbits out to 300 yards and foxs out to 250.

i,don't think night vision is dead, I think digital is killing gen 2 and 3 and we can only benefit from it as with respect to costs, and the availabilty to the common person, a few years back gen 3 was just off the scale as is thermal, I have a lad on the estate that has been well and truly done over with his so called best thing since sliced bread...a thermal spotter, the detection distances are so far fetched in the real world he sold it on,

all i I can say is I am happy with what I have, imcant afford thermal but to be honest I don't want one, I have a spotter from a lad on the NV forum and it's great for what I need to do.

roll on the new low level digital scope from NV gear uk, for those who can't afford the drone pro?

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thermal spotter and night vision scope is probably the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    What he said.....
    thermal for spotting, nv for identifying and shooting. Speaking as a tube snob I don't like digital nv. Yes it is more expensive but it is worth it if you can afford it. The key word here is afford and this is where digital wins over.

either way I will be sticking with my setup for a few years.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Was out at the weekend with thermal spotter and night vision scope. Spotted a fox at about 150 yards, it was clear as day in the thermal and I would have happily shot but when we looked down the night vision it was like a jungle and you could only just see the eyes so no shot was on. Also you cannot be 100% sure in the thermal. We thought we was on a fox in the heather but turned out to be a roe. Thermal spotter with night vision gets my vote.

I have to agree with most of the others on this one,
    without a thermal spotter we would not shoot as many as we do,
    the spotter allows me to follow or just get close enough to shoot something that couldn't be done with a lamp.
    the thermal does take a couple of nights to get used to, my spotter man can tell instantly even out past 400 yards what the Image is.
    A mate on neighbouring estate has now got a thermal scope as well as a spotter, I must admit it's a great bit of kit but as I said they do take time to get used to them it's no good just looking though it and saying I don't like it.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post

+1

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by camo304 View Post
    +1
    +1 Not convinced at all by the percentage certainty of correct ID and shot clearance through thermal signature alone. Fused tech (combined/overlaid NV and TI) is in the commercial pipeline - but the need for a true sight picture will always remain for me.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........