Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good? Bad? What happened here?

Good? Bad? What happened here?

Can anybody hazard a guess as to what happened here? I will elaborate once a few brave souls have chanced their reputations...

(Stating the obvious is only for naughty boys.)

Edit - My apologies, badly phrased. That's the Heineken catching up on the 05:00 start. Given the relative sizes of the entry and exit wounds can you offer any suggestions as to what type of bullet was used and the consequent reaction?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails entry1.jpg   exit1.jpg  
    Last edited by Iwrch; 26-05-2010 at 18:27.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

As your attached pics are titled 'Entry' and 'Exit' I'll go for the obvious QI answer.

Hi,

Am i the first to ask, what am i missing here.
    looks like small hole left (entry) large right (exit).

F.

not mentioning location of shot as i assume there's something less obvious guys .....!!! before i start to get ribbed
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 26-05-2010 at 18:25. Reason: stating the obvious

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Looks to be to far back, SP bullet used??? Not expanded as it hit nothing to start the expansion, or didn't have enough time to expand in soft tissue. I'd say the deer ran but after arching his (assuming it's a Buck) back, ran on a little. Followed up by either dog or second shot to end his life.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

centralbelt & tartinjock - perfectly plausible explanations but incorrect, I'm afraid. Any more?
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

standard in and out a little back with a ripped diaphragm and slightly burst rumen probably by a lead free bullet by the uniform neat exit damage. Run of about 15 yards. If not, it's a good story

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    centralbelt & tartinjock - perfectly plausible explanations but incorrect, I'm afraid. Any more?
    Bu**er.......
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I'm with Paul on the non-lead bullet

I think the entry is a bit of a red herring

The exit is where it's at....

Ok, the hole is rather small, and (if I've got the picture the right way up ) it's a tad on the high side to my eye, but not as far back as the entry, so deer slightly quartering away?... I reckon it probably dropped to the shot, or almost. As to why the hole is so small... hmmm... passed perfectly between ribs on both sides? Decided not to expand? Federal soft point? I feel a bit low saying that as I use .243 Federal and have only had one 'whizzer', but others have had some punch straight through and some do the the crazy inside the carcass!

Alex ( no reputation to lose! )

shot with a cross bow ? and was found running round with it still in it ? and you pulled it out before taking the photo
    andy
    Last edited by cocker; 26-05-2010 at 19:38.