Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Old Girl Is No More.

The Old Girl Is No More.

The Old Finnbear .270 barrel is dead, long live the re barrel,(soon), Think I fried her last trip but one on the Boar cinema,, maybe go with another Border tube although I am led to believe they no longer cut barrels, Or perhaps a Pac Nor?, trouble is I would really like to put a .270 Win chamber back on her, but seems not too many .270 reamers on the shelf out there?, Might consider purchasing the two required...........
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Dave Wylde of Valkyrie has the .270 win reamer and I highly recommend his work.

Why not go for a .30-06 this time Steve, or if you really want a change and something for the boar a 9.3x62.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Could get a barrel pre-chambered by Lothar Walther. Most German gunsmiths buy in the barrels that way. Why should they chamber on their mickey mouse lathe if LW have a 10ton purpose built machine. F-Class Euro champ used a LW barrel chambered by LW.
    edi

My first ever stalking rifle was a Finnbear 270, fitted with a Pecar post sight 6x45 scope.

I think James Clarke may have a .270 reamer. Although he likes the 280AI if your home loading!

buy a reamer and gauges from the US
    get you smith to chamber it and sell the reamer and gauges to the highest bidder

that's what I did when I had the 22 hornet handi rifle reamed to .222
    couldn't find a .222 reamer anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    Dave Wylde of Valkyrie has the .270 win reamer and I highly recommend his work.
    +1 and the Border Sassen button barrels he gets are top notch, I have two.

I'd recomend a new Border barrel fitted by Mike at Brock & Norris. He does superb work & the barrels are VERY good. Not far from you either.
    I'd change the chambering to 30-06 especially as you go on barrel cooking cineshot sessions. The 30 cal barrel will outlast a 270 by a decent amount. Plus 30-06 chucks heavy bullets with great aplomb!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Why not go for a .30-06 this time Steve, or if you really want a change and something for the boar a 9.3x62.
    Can't do that, he'll have t start a new account as Finnbear30-06
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me