Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: traditional black powder

traditional black powder

I know this has probably been discussed before, but so has everything else, so....

Are there any here who hunt with traditional muzzle loading, patch and ball rifles, in percussion or flintlock?

I owned, for a very short time, a beautiful Browning Mountain Rifle, which I let some black powder fiend talk me out of. And I wanted to take a course on building one from scratch, from a fifth generation long rifle smith, who worked in a restored settlement at Conner Prairie, Indiana. I watched them a few nights, working at an outside forge in deep snow, and sub-zero night. Very cool!

In researching the history of various rifle smiths of the colonial era, I have become interested again. I was handling some pieces from the 1770s, and had a look at Davy Crockett's first rifle, all whetting my interest.

Last week, I ran across a David Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, in very nicely figured wood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedersoli-rocky-mtn-hawken-rec.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	67235
    Last edited by Southern; 01-03-2016 at 18:43. Reason: photo added

Patch and ball wouldn't be legal for deer here. The legality of hunting with cast bullets is debated. Hitting the required velocity would be a problem in Scotland.

However, sabots with pistol bullets would be legal. Personally I think cast bullets (like a paper patched soft) are fine for hunting and within the law but that's not worth getting in to now. If I were to do it is want a written ok from the local constabulary.

I think the number of people using a muzzleloader to take deer in the UK is probably 1 at the high end, I suspect for the above reasons. Personally I'd love one but, for now, I won't be going down that route.

As King George V said "a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears"
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

SD Regular
    There's well enough that shoot original muzzleloading shot guns on live feathered game to get the usual once a year picture in our shooting press. Some especially on the annual 26 December driven day in their syndicate.As already said, although it's soft lead, and so expanding patched round ball is unheard of. A conical bullet with a cast-in, or drilled, hollow point is possible.Now lots, of course, once did shoot deer with percussion rifles. But since 1890s I'd doubt it...for unlike the USA we have no "muzzle loading only" extension (or early opening) on our deer season.Nor are smoothbore guns of any system, muzzleloading or breechloading, permitted on deer except under the 'farmers' exception'.However a 40" barrel maple stocked .36" squirrel rifle would be perfectly legal on rabbits. And our grey coated bushy tailed imported vandals from the USA!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 01-03-2016 at 21:03.

I got to shoot a small bore (that's .32 to .36 for blackpowder ) long rifle some years ago, a flintlock, made by the owner. He did the loading, and I suppose that is what impresses me most: getting the velocity so close by pouring in black powder and tamping down a bullet into the rifling. I surprised myself by putting putting two shots within a half inch of each other, and to a penny-sized target at 50 yards. You really have to follow through, as there is a delay between the trigger snapping, the pan igniting, and the ball leaving the barrel. It is as much fun as firecrackers are to a small boy. Must be the aroma!

Could you use these for foxes?

Yeah the stipulation on energy and bullet type is only there for deer. Technically there is nothing for Boar either, just a recommended minimum of 270.

You'd have to convince your local police mind, and that's the main hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Yeah the stipulation on energy and bullet type is only there for deer. Technically there is nothing for Boar either, just a recommended minimum of 270.

You'd have to convince your local police mind, and that's the main hurdle.

get it for vermin and AOLQ which includes Boar

It'd include deer as well if you made enough energy and used a "soft nose or hollow nose" projectile

SD Regular
    Greener Jim brings up the main discouragement in UK. Any firearm, not an air gun, that we shoot must be licenced. If it's a 1770s squirrel rifle and you don'tvshoot it needs no licence. Yet if I want to shoot it it has, then, to be on a licence.

Therecs more! For a rifled arm that licence has 'conditions' as to what it may be used for. If that is ONLY for targets then it can't be used on squirrels! So as GJ said ig you had a .58 Hawken and wanted to use it on wild boar it would have to be both licensed AND that licemce 'conditioned' to allow that use on boar.

So here in UK we can't just take great,great grandad's antique, original, .451 Rigby off the wall and go onto our shooting lease and "bag" a deer with it!

So, is there no target competition with black powder rifles?

Plenty, the rifle just has to conditioned on your license accordingly. If you have a rifle for target use you can't take it in to the feild after deer unless your license also says deer on it.