Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics choice

Optics choice

I'm curious what works for you when you hunt and why?

Do you use an optic? or fixed sights?

What are peoples thoughts on variable mag as opposed to fixed?

Illuminated or not?

FFP or SFP?

I use a 3 - 9 x 50 Leupold which i find fits my requirements - just curious what other people use and why? I am in the market for another scope (different rifle) and had a look through a nikon monarch which i must admit was extremely clear - surprising in fact.

my opinion is the simpler the optics the better. A lot of deer I shoot may have seen me first/or be spooked so the faster I can see them clearly in the scope the more successful my hunts are.
    My favourite is 3-12x50 s&b. I think illuminated reticles are a bit gimmicky and haven't seen the need for one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post

Illuminated or not?

FFP or SFP?

I use a 3 - 9 x 50 Leupold which i find fits my requirements - just curious what other people use and why? I am in the market for another scope (different rifle) and had a look through a nikon monarch which i must admit was extremely clear - surprising in fact.
    Hi have a look at this post So What scope do you use and why?

I started a while back, may answer some of your questions, though often people don't give the why!

I normally use a ffp due to simplicity however if just started using a sfp with adjustable paralax and it certainly improves picture quality across the range of distances

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post

Illuminated or not?

FFP or SFP?

Fixed magnification for me, (point and shoot out to 250) have used variables in the past but found that I hardly ever used the variable option.

Illuminated is ok for some instances, but you can get away without no probs. I have used a Nikon Monarch in the past and the scope more than held its own.

M

I have used various scopes when in the UK,
    woodland stalking I loved my 4x32 m8 leupold as most shots were under 100m
    field / open ground stalking, foxing etc,6x42 Swarovski
    why fixed mag mainly because I found that when I had a variable, I never changed it, and there's the problem, I have a 6.5x20 x50 mk4 on my kimber here in NZ as shots tend to be longer, yet I forgot to take it off 6.5 shooting at 450m the other day
    I have used open sights, e o tec, but found the above worked best for me. As for illuminated, I never found it much use, more a gimmick .

Quote Originally Posted by nick.308 View Post
    my opinion is the simpler the optics the better. A lot of deer I shoot may have seen me first/or be spooked so the faster I can see them clearly in the scope the more successful my hunts are.
    My favourite is 3-12x50 s&b. I think illuminated reticles are a bit gimmicky and haven't seen the need for one yet.
    I would agree.
    I've yet to come across the situation where I've thought to myself, I really need an illuminated reticle for this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by nick.308 View Post
    defo a bit gimmicky but aid first light and last light shooting esp in thick woodland .if the cross hairs are very thin a illuminated dot or ret is a very useful aid to precise shot selection at those times which is when most deer are shot IMO
    Norma

For hunting:

(Woodland, farmland, so not in the Scottish hills...)

SCOPES:
    1. Scopes with a fixed magnification x4 or x6
    2. Smallish, compact, light optics
    3. Waterproof, gas-filled, and multi-coated lenses
    4. IR are very rarely required.
    5. I have no idea if my scopes are FFP or SFP. But they work.

With the above criteria, there is a lot of choice in the 300-500 bracket.

RED DOT:
    1. Unconventional in the UK but much used in Continental Europe and the USA.
    2. Ideal for day-time close-in snap-shot hunting in overgrown woodland/shrub-land
    3. Not great for first light/last light situations.
    4. To buy a Red Dot sight that holds its zero well and with good optical quality you're looking at the 400-600 bracket
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

There are some red dot and holographic sights under $125 USD which are very good. The Bushnells, Tasco, and Burris which sit on shotguns and autopistols top slides take a lot of recoil. The Bushnells have a lot of adjustments, and are supported by two rings, which helps a lot, and in QR rings can be swapped with a scope - handy for driven game and dangerous game. The Tascos are shorter and larger diameter, and fit on two cross slots, so require a rail. The smaller Burris ( or Zeiss ) sits on one slot or in a base on a handgun slide like the FNP, and so on a rifle or shotgun, it can be very close to your eye, and just projects a dot out onto the target, like the Eotech.