Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little bit of help confused

A little bit of help confused

Hi all a little bit of help needed I am a bit confused with some bullet heads I have bought for my 308 to reload I am very new to reloAding the bullet I have in question is the hornady 155g a max for a 308 win I intended to use it for roe but all the places I look on the net one half says ok and really good and the other says do no use for medium or large game if not suitable I have 70 155g a max in 308 for sale if any one is interested cheers Craig

A max bullets are for target use as far as I'm aware.

Craig, in the past they were used in a lot of deer stalking & found to be excellent in all weights/cals suitable for deer, originally CXP deer rated in the states, but no longer legally suitable for deer in UK as they have been classed as not designed to expand. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hornady describe them as target use & not recommended for game. However, Nathan Foster in his extensive research on his 'Knowledgebase' describes A Max bullets as his 'Go to' bullet for knocking down medium sized game.
    There have been a few threads on this subject, so it comes down to a matter of experience and personal choice.

Personally I have avoided using the A Max on game and always selected a specific 'Game' bullet. Hornady make them, as do Nosler, Sierra and several other manufacturers.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

A max were sectioned by a member on here some time back, during a fairly brisk discussion on the use of A max for game, Might have been Tartinjock or Glogin maybe, wonder where tarty went?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    CXP deer rated in the states, but no longer legally suitable for deer in UK as they have been classed as not designed to expand. Steve.
    I didn't know that this was the case. Interesting. Any idea which authorised body came to this decision?
    Not that I plan to use any, just interested.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    I didn't know that this was the case. Interesting. Any idea which authorised body came to this decision?
    Not that I plan to use any, just interested.

Just the fact that we are required to use bullets designed to expand for game, So having A max labelled as a "Target missile" or non expanding/not "designed" to expand, shuts the door on them for deer.

Thanks chaps so can the a max sold and posted with out face to face deal thanks again Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hairlesshunter View Post
    Thanks chaps so can the a max sold and posted with out face to face deal thanks again Craig

Certainly can!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Just the fact that we are required to use bullets designed to expand for game, So having A max labelled as a "Target missile" or non expanding/not "designed" to expand, shuts the door on them for deer.
    Only partially correct. That would certainly be the case if you were to use them in Scotland, in England and Wales however we are only restricted to hollow point or soft point bullets. Amax are hollow point (with a plastic tip) therefore arguably legal (although certainly it's much better to use a hunting billet for deer).