Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared house & firearms?

Shared house & firearms?

Hi all,
    bit of a query about living in a shared house and owning firearms.. Has anyone on here lived in a shared house and owned firearms at the same time? What do the police think? Is it any of their business, is there anything in the law saying you can't keep firearms in a shared house?

Iv been offered the ideal job in the new Forrest, only downside is that the money is a little lower than I had planned and rent seems rather expensive locally... Which means I'm looking at shared houses to make coming down here viable.

All thoughts appreciated

cam

Established Poster
    The police will, understandably, want to know who else lives in the house, and will run criminal checks on them. If (for example) it was somebody with a history of violence, crime, drugs offences (or associations with people like that) then they could quite feasibly say that the level of risk was unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hortysnorty View Post
    Hi all,
    bit of a query about living in a shared house and owning firearms.. Has anyone on here lived in a shared house and owned firearms at the same time? What do the police think? Is it any of their business, is there anything in the law saying you can't keep firearms in a shared house?

Iv been offered the ideal job in the new Forrest, only downside is that the money is a little lower than I had planned and rent seems rather expensive locally... Which means I'm looking at shared houses to make coming down here viable.

All thoughts appreciated

cam

every thing property wise is expensive in the New forest most local kids have to move away to many Londoners buying weekend cottages back in teh 90's they built a load of houses to be cheap for local people to stay in the area ended up being filled with single mums from Bournemouth

Quote Originally Posted by Hortysnorty View Post
    Hi all,

All thoughts appreciated

cam
    Yes I had to live in a shared house and as a result had to give up my FAC and sell the guns. Sussex Police were not happy about the arrangements that we could make security wise so this was the result. This was quite a few yeas back now and other Police Licensing Offices might have different views but that is what happened back then.

Good Luck with this as I feel your going to need all you can get.

Just thought I should add that the landlord said the only place we could put the cabinets was in a utility room that the other sharers also had access to.
    Last edited by Conure; 02-03-2016 at 10:30.

I lived for five years in a rented London flat with variously three to five other people at any given time. Two or three of us had SGCs, one had an FAC. We all shared a shotgun cabinet, my flatmate's target rifle lived at the range. The Met Police had no trouble with this. Only the SGC holders had keys to the cabinet. It's no different really from how I keep firearms at home and neither Mrs PM or YPM have licences. Anyway, the Met Police had no problem with it.

I would think, in general terms, if you have a gun cabinet in your bedroom that's properly secured and there's a decent lock on the bedroom door, then you'll be onto a winner. Of course there are other circumstances that may affect things. The others living there will be a factor as riflerob says, as will be the area's crime rate. But in theory it's very do-able. Of course if the owner says no bolting cabinets in the bedroom, that might be a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Of course if the owner says no bolting cabinets in the bedroom, that might be a killer.
    We used the Columbo technique to negociate it with the estate agents. We'd agreed the rent, and were just about to sign, when we said "Just one last thing. Can we bolt a gun safe to the wall?". The young lady was a bit taken aback, rallied and looking slightly worried asked "Erm, you have licences for the guns right?". "Oh yes". "Oh, that's fine then".

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I lived for five years in a rented London flat with variously three to five other people at any given time. Two or three of us had SGCs, one had an FAC. We all shared a shotgun cabinet, my flatmate's target rifle lived at the range. The Met Police had no trouble with this. Only the SGC holders had keys to the cabinet. It's no different really from how I keep firearms at home and neither Mrs PM or YPM have licences. Anyway, the Met Police had no problem with it.
    What you haven't got YPM down for a SGC yet. Then we can get a Daily Wail/Mirror horror story headline for a day or twos mumbling on the site.

David.

I wonder whether anyone shares my view that Hortysnorty is the most appealing user-name on this site?

To be honest, the general trend these days is towards renting rather than owning homes, so this is going to be much more common.