Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally blooded the new (to me) .308

Finally blooded the new (to me) .308

It's been a while since I did a write up simply because it's been a flaming while since I shot anything, partly due to work getting in the way of stalking and partly because good old fashioned lady luck has up and boogered off again!!

Now the nights are pulling out though I have just enough time to get to this particular perm where we do the pest & deer control and have an hour or so before last light. It's a difficult farm to stalk partly due to the layout of the fields/spinneys and the volume of workers, etc, so we tend to stay put in a safe shooting spot and wait.

We have seen activity in the area I chose last night on the trailcam in the past and my shooting buddy has seen plenty of Muntjac around through the thermal after dark when he's been foxing. It also presents me with one of the few safe spots in this area of the farm.

I got settled in and you can see why they seem to like it as it's like a little haven in the corner of the field with spinneys to the left and a freshly dug pond to the right.

I waited until about 17.35 then heard something moving around to my right so had a spy through the bins but couldn't see anything. When I looked back along the tree line I thought it was that sort of time where trees and bushes start looking like deer. Well this time it was because a Munty was skulking around just inside the tree line 100 plus yards away.

A slight adjustment on the quad sticks got him in the sights and he came out just far enough to deliver the round perfectly just behind the left shoulder. As he was quartering just slightly it exited through the other shoulder, dropping on the spot.

A nice timely addition to the larder as the freezer is almost empty but I reckon I'll need to biltong the whole thing as the kids are scoffing it like nobody's business!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

well done, nice write up

nice one stratts how you finding the tikka 308?atb doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    nice one stratts how you finding the tikka 308?atb doug,
    Loving it mate it's a big difference to the lumps I used to carry around! Quite surprised how little recoil there is too as I was expecting it to jump on the sticks being lighter but not a bit of it. Stayed on the munty yesterday through the shot and watched it drop no problem!!

Great result Stratts mate. It's such a good feeling to break a "dry spell"!
    Now get in that kitchen and do your thing!!!!

Nice write up.

Well done, good read. I quiet fancy making some biltong, does using defrosted vension make any difference? Got some i need to use up!

Not at all mate you leave it in salt to draw moisture out anyway

What factory ammo you using stratts please,atb doug,
    DONT START