Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not your usual 303 Brit

Not your usual 303 Brit

This was posted on Canadian Gunnutz recently . It was purchased by a member along with the story that goes with it . I can't think of a more iconic rifle from western Canada's past . I thought some of you might enjoy it ............ and give you an idea what the 303 Brit was used for , then and now . The Winchester 1895 is commonly encountered in Canada chambered in 303 British and still commands a lot of respect ........and a lot of cash lol.

AB

"It has seen many, many miles in a leather saddle scabbard and bluing is worn, of course...I owned and used it for about 40 years and she saved my butt on a couple occasions when I was guiding grizzly hunters...It was a gift from the guide outfitter I was working under at the time. He loaned me the rifle to back him up on a grizzly that an American hunter wounded.....I was able to get 5 fast shots in the bear before it went down at his feet. His rifle was tangled in the damn alder. Anyways he gave me the gun in appreciation...A few years later another wounded grizzly got him and he didn't make it home that time....The family is still in the guiding business but in the Yukon now."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG6016_zpsrmesvpyz.jpg  
    Last edited by alberta boy; 03-03-2016 at 01:19.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    This was posted on Canadian Gunnutz recently . It was purchased by a member along with the story that goes with it . I can't think of a more iconic rifle from western Canada's past . I thought some of you might enjoy it ............ and give you an idea what the 303 Brit was used for , then and now . The Winchester 1895 is commonly encountered in Canada chambered in 303 British and still commands a lot of respect ........and a lot of cash lol.

AB

"It has seen many, many miles in a leather saddle scabbard and bluing is worn, of course...I owned and used it for about 40 years and she saved my butt on a couple occasions when I was guiding grizzly hunters...It was a gift from the guide outfitter I was working under at the time. He loaned me the rifle to back him up on a grizzly that an American hunter wounded.....I was able to get 5 fast shots in the bear before it went down at his feet. His rifle was tangled in the damn alder. Anyways he gave me the gun in appreciation...A few years later another wounded grizzly got him and he didn't make it home that time....The family is still in the guiding business but in the Yukon now."
    Nice old rifle!
    What was the nationality of the hunter who wounded the bear that killed him? ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Nice old rifle!
    What was the nationality of the hunter who wounded the bear that killed him? ~Muir
    Lol , if I remember correctly , it was a Canadian . I think he was from Toronto or some other foreign place . Just kidding , I don't know the nationality of his last client .

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 03-03-2016 at 03:03.

Holts have a .303 Winchester 1895 for auction this month which they think,is an ex RCMP rifle? Guide price starting at 1800 + fees and vat

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

That is one sweet saddle gun. Makes me want another such thing from the same vintage, like a Krag engineer's carbine or 1896 Swedish Calvary Carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    Holts have a .303 Winchester 1895 for auction this month which they think,is an ex RCMP rifle? Guide price starting at 1800 + fees and vat

Bob
    The Mounties did carry these and other Winchesters like the model 1894 in 30/30 . It depended on where they were posted . An old friend of mine , now past , was a staff Sargent in the Arctic for many years . He had a few run ins with polar bears that had decided to snack on the locals ( not good ) and carried a Winchester push feed Model 70 chambered in 375 H&H . Apparently it worked quite well , no surprise . Mind you , he was a Korean war vet and a very cool customer under pressure . They don't make them like that anymore .......... the man , not the rifles lol .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    That is one sweet saddle gun. Makes me want another such thing from the same vintage, like a Krag engineer's carbine or 1896 Swedish Calvary Carbine.
    I was talking to Scrumbag the other day about rebarreling a modern 95 repro in 35 Whelen or 9.3X62 . That would make for a very nice " big stuff " rifle . Mind you , I wouldn't keep the steel buttplate if I did , that would get old rather quickly .

The rifle pictured has an old Lyman 21 receiver sight on it , do any of you know if anyone is making reproductions ? I've seen a few originals for sale infrequently , and for silly amounts of cash , but they do look right , for lack of a better word .

AB