Thread: To those who dislike some of our shooting organisations

To those who dislike some of our shooting organisations

This is a genuine question, so let's not let it decend into the usual please.

What is it you want from your organisation, be that basc, sacs, nobs, ngo etc, what is it that keeps your membership loyal, what do you like in terms of events, offerings, discounts, training etc? What would you like to see more of?
    Clearly legal support is a given whether you agree with the level of support is another thing, again, not for this post please.
    Interested to know what people are looking for.....

thanks
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Distinct inroads into the intransigence of licensing authorities, & difficulties with them following simple common sense licensing.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Primarily I want my organisation to be an effective pro-fieldsports campaigning organisation, and I deliberately don't use the expression "in defence of". The insurance is very useful, you need it, but it's just a product you could buy from anywhere. It's the advocacy that matters.

I want my organisation (BASC in my case) to do a few key things really;

- Be a pro-shooting advocate
    - Support members during the licensing application process and help new members into the sport
    - Drive forward sensible change in the industry such as changes in the licensing laws, ensuring that all police forces apply the HO guidance in the same way and fighting unfair or unreasonable legislation that will hurt the sport and the industry.

Other things such as training courses, insurance and discounts on cars are of course always welcome and very useful too hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Primarily I want my organisation to be an effective pro-fieldsports campaigning organisation, and I deliberately don't use the expression "in defence of". The insurance is very useful, you need it, but it's just a product you could buy from anywhere. It's the advocacy that matters.

That!
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Lobbying and research to support it...
    and perhaps an email newsletter to keep members up to date on news, issues, research and lobbying.

There are a lot of battles which need to be fought:

Against police forces who fail to apply the law correctly or follow HO guidance
    Against antis who bring malicious prosecutions and make false or misleading (and regretfully occasionally true) allegations in the press
    Against the mainstream media who buy into the "bloodsports by toffs" nonsense spouted by the antis
    Against anti-shooting politicians who will always be seeking another way to put a legislative hurdle into our sport - death by a thousand cuts being the aim
    Against new EU regulation that will damage us in ways that probably aren't intended
    Against the general public's understandable lack of understanding of what we actually do, how we behave, and the conservation work done

I think it's important to fight all of these things vigorously and positively. I simply don't have the time to do it myself so I outsource it to BASC and the CA. I expect them to take up the baton gladly and at no point to back down. Where organisations like the RSPB pretend to work with us then stick the knife in, I expect us to do the same back most vigorously by highlighting their many conservation failures and hypocrises, and not giving them the quarter they do not afford us.

I hope that's succinct.

I want all organisations to support each other including ALL shooting disciplines and to stop the discrimination that has become prevalent. Too many times the organisations are willing to throw another discipline under the bus and disassociate themselves in a hope of misguided self-preservation.

One that supports ALL fieldsports, not just shooting.

I would like to see a single organisation, one that actively looks for problems for all types of fieldsports people and resolves them. Just does it and lists what it has done.
    One which asks its members what their priorities are.
    One which doesnt know best about every issue , telling its members whats best for them is not helpful.
    A campaigning organisation which knows where those opposed to us are likely to go next.
    One which doesnt try and make money by over regulation but offers courses for those who want them at travelling cost. (staff have to do something)
    One which has regular local forums e.g. to involve others in conservation works, linking in to the best of local and national conservation organisations and taking them into shoots to witness the work we do.
    One having a fixed structure of staff which doesnt change when a new CE arrives but is based simply on members needs for advice, support and positive lobbying.
    One which uses scientific information wisely and commissions work on topics which affect both e.g. game shooting and conservation (insects and pesticides inc bees).
    Insurance yes, bullshirt no. Much as everyone else has said