Boar kills greyhound in the Forest Of Dean

I used to work in Berlin. There were all sorts of boar related incidents. Boar is the largest threat to biodiversity in this country. They need to be eradicated now before it's too late. They are the one sporting species I'd rather fly over the channel to hunt.

Another empty headed walker?, she says what are these animals (dangerous) doing wandering around the countryside?, does she think she's in sainsburys or what?

I used to work in Berlin. There were all sorts of boar related incidents. Boar is the largest threat to biodiversity in this country. They need to be eradicated now before it's too late. They are the one sporting species I'd rather fly over the channel to hunt.
If you offerered to pay for all my flights over the ditch, I still wouldn't agree with eradication.

Lead. Simple answer. I once saw a women attack a chap who told her that it was private land, and if she didnt take the dog and herself of the land he would shoot the dog. I think he shot the dog in the end.

Sam

Eradication is the only answer. Once they are established, you've lost the fight. This was certainly the view of the guys I met over there.

Is it not always the case that when one species flourishes another is harmed. I would be interested to know what would we lose that we should be so concerned about.

They are hear and they are staying. Unless some serious Daylight hunting is done so that the beasts associate man with Death they they will ignore people at best and at worst charge them. My house backs onto the woods and several people have been charged most probably due to the dogs they were walking But there you have it, they see us and they think Dogs and charge.
I got to within 50 yards of 3 sows along with young purely because I was down wind but with young they can become hot headed chargers. Last weekend my son and his oppo were playing in the woods when we got a phone call to say he was stuck on a big rock with a large tusker walking around beneath, he was told to wait and sure enough the boar got bored :oops: and my son came home, But if the boar associate humans and human scent with big bangs and pain then the chance of me or my son getting up close to them would be slim And they would be more likely to take flight than charge. They need to know they are NOT on the top of the food chain, and to give man a wide birth.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,545172,00.html

I think what finnbear says is right. You have boar to stay in England now and like i have written in other boar posts , you ain't seen nothing yet.
Why have these idiot dog walker not got there dogs under control or if they can't control them walk them on a lead. That greyhound will just be one of many dogs to get chopped by boar. Sows are just as dangerous as boar. Its amazing how fast the boar move when on the attack. They have made the Kopov tuck his tail between his legs and beat a hasty retreat on more than one accasion but he's soon back up behind them again. He do's have the advantage of his kevlar vest though.
View attachment 1204
www.prokennel.se

Last edited:
I think what finnbear says is right. You have boar to stay in England now and like i have written in other boar posts , you ain't seen nothing yet.
Why have these idiot dog walker not got there dogs under control or if they can't control them walk them on a lead. That greyhound will just be one of many dogs to get chopped by boar. Sows are just as dangerous as boar. Its amazing how fast the boar move when on the attack. They have made the Kopov tuck his tail between his legs and beat a hasty retreat on more than one accasion but he's soon back up behind them again. [
QUOTE]
He do's have the advantage of his kevlar vest though.
View attachment 1204 And a bigger more functional brain than some dog walkers!:D
www.prokennel.se[/QUOTE]

Well the owner should have kept the dog on its lead and not been ignorant to the local wildlife in our countryside. As far as boar being back in the UK goes I'm really excited about having them.

What's this crap in the article about boar apparently disembowelling cattle in fields near Ross-on-Wye and 'stories' of them killing cattle?? And they put this in print.. What a load of crap :evil:

What's this crap in the article about boar apparently disembowelling cattle in fields near Ross-on-Wye and 'stories' of them killing cattle?? And they put this in print.. What a load of crap :evil:

Yep, how long before they start getting ASBOs? Look at the history of Boar in this country and you'll find plenty of references to them being the 'bogeymen' of the forests and a threat to the general populace and their livestock! Sign of the times that our press are going all Medieval again?

I see that Dr Martin Goulding has made a reply to the original press article.

Lead. Simple answer. I once saw a women attack a chap who told her that it was private land, and if she didnt take the dog and herself of the land he would shoot the dog. I think he shot the dog in the end.

Sam

He would then proceed to lose his gun licence and would go to court, unless worrying livestock you have no legal reason to kill someones dog, even if it is chasing deer it is illegal as deer are not livestock.

Well the owner should have kept the dog on its lead and not been ignorant to the local wildlife in our countryside. As far as boar being back in the UK goes I'm really excited about having them.

Hi Paul
I'm not sure of the full story but there was a some kind of problem on a farm next door to us where some cows had been injured by a boar???
Sus scrofa might know more I think he shoots the farm where it happened.

Wayne

Hi 375win

I hunt uk wild boar on a regular basis and i'm very glad they are here to stay.:D

BUT I know the damage they can do and I must admit I'm not sure I would want them on my own land :rolleyes:

Atb Wayne

From what I can remember, there was an incident of a boar and cow getting a bit closer than they both intended, and the cow got, I won`t say gored, but she did get "marked" and, I think she was put down from the injury.
This was a few yrs ago now.
I dunno if this is same story as now Wayne?
As for eradication? I think that idea maybe a bit too late now:lol:.
Boar actually do some good in woodland, not so good on farmland though;
so the ideal thing would be, the boar stay in the woods and leave all the nice ramblers and dog walkers alone and the ramblers and dog walkers stay out of the woods.

Last edited:
From what I can remember, there was an incident of a boar and cow getting a bit closer than they both intended and the cow got, I won`t say gored, but she did get "marked".
This was a few yrs ago now and since then the story has got bigger and better as it`s been retold.
I dunno if this is same story thats going around now Wayne?
As for eradication? I think that idea maybe a bit too late now:lol:

Hi John, I'm sure its the same story, it was a long time ago that it actually happened but I think the lady was on the tv a few weeks ago telling the story again.

Wayne

One thing is for sure and that is that fallen stock will be less of an issue. Wild boar like a bit of meat in their diet.

Simple answer keep your'e dog on a lead and stay on the footpath.Tossers wondering around with there dogs chasing deer and god knows what else deserve everything they get.As for wiping out boar why? they lived in our forests before with no adverse affects on our native flora or fauna.The only thing that has changed is tossers walking there dogs off leads off footpaths:( Boar hopefully hear to stay managed properly they are a resource that can be enjoyed by many.I woud not wipe them out just yet the way past goverment tried to get poeple to shoot more and more deer and reduce there numbers dramatically they be the only thing left.

Back