sako vixen

PAULT

ive been offered one of these what would be a decent price to offer my rfd is selling its a 308 ive shot it the past and its a tidy enough rifle whats your pleasure

I belive it a classic? I fired one once - was a lovely gun. I have seen them second hand in what I would call "Poor" condition for £350-£400

Sam

Sure its not a Forester if its in .308 Win? I thought the Vixens were all fox type calibres but I could be wrong. Great rifles but condition will determine price. People buy these in any condition just for the actions so it will always be worth a certain ammount. JC

Sure its not a Forester if its in .308 Win? I thought the Vixens were all fox type calibres but I could be wrong. Great rifles but condition will determine price. People buy these in any condition just for the actions so it will always be worth a certain ammount. JC

The Vixen or A1 was a small action in .222/.223 etc.
The Forester or L579 or A2 was a medium action in 22-250, 243, 308.
You can date it from the serial number, there is a serial number list on the Sako web site or more details on the Lefora sakocollectors club.

The action should be marked L579 or A11.

The Vixen or A1 was a small action in .222/.223 etc.
The Forester or L579 or A2 was a medium action in 22-250, 243, 308.
You can date it from the serial number, there is a serial number list on the Sako web site or more details on the Lefora sakocollectors club.

The action should be marked L579 or A11.
you got me thinking know will double check later thanx

One was on our range on Sunday ! the chap bought it at auction for £ 100 shot sub 1.5'' at 200 !!!

I offered him £ 90 when he sells it !:D

Should also add it was in A1 condition and he was Very lucky .

Last edited:
Have often thought that I would like to find a "Kit" for a Baker Rifle, craft it with love, and then learn to shoot it properly at range.

Stan

does anybody on here use one for stalking my rfd is starting to buckle under pressure

I had a left handed heavy barrelled version in .243 which i used for stalking. They are a great rifle, and in my opinion were the better model sakos than what we get now!....same with the older tikkas too!
L597 forester L697 finnbear....short action and long action respectively. £350-600 is the price range for these rifles which are generaly in good condition and as stated earlier....great actions for a rebarrel at a later date......plus there are synthetic aftermarket stocks available for these rifles from many manufactureres.

I would suggest a visit to your RFD....with your chequebook.

regards..

steve

i have a sako vixen in 222 been re barreled with a sako barrel shoots one hole groups with home loads
3 sako foresters 2 in 243 one been re barreled with border barrel other still going strong both barrels fitted by norman clarke in rugby
1 in 308 could be ready for new barrel group opening up a bit still in one inch though
1 finbear in 270 they are all 25 to 30 years old and given the choice of any other rifle i would not swap any of them for any other make or model they do what said on the box and thats good enough for me and my son . but have just WON a howa 1500 in the sporting rifle competion and looking forward to using that its in 25 06 a caliber i dont have if its half as good as the sako i will be well pleased

do yourself a favour throw the howa in the river and keep the sakos i only pay my rfd when i got money

do yourself a favour throw the howa in the river and keep the sakos i only pay my rfd when i got money

The Howa is made on the very same machines that the old Sako’s were made on, Howa brought them off Sako when Sako up graded with the introduction of the a new model.

In fact Howa thought they had actually brought the right to manufacture the finnbear Model (well that was there view). Sako threatened them with legal action if they did not stop manufacturing them. This lead to the Model 1500 coming into being, ½ Sako the action, 1/2 Remmington 700, the bolt.

So want a Japanese engineered old style Sako, buy a Howa.

Paul are you still of the same opinion now?

ATB

Tahr

my mate got 2 howas i dont want any of them ive shot plenty of foxes with his 222 but the new 223 hes got weighs a ton

Last edited:
Hi Paul

The heavy barrelled model is well, heavy of course, the sporter weight one is maybe ½lb heavier than similar model from another maker, I guess that’s the price you pay for a solid built no plastic rifle.

Still not too heavy for a mountain hunt, a couple of modded Howa’s here in the kind of terrain you will never find in the UK.
P1010042.jpg

A few heavier models here.
PIC00113.jpg

ATB

Tahr

PAULT, I really would be very grateful to you if you could see your way clear to PM'ing me the l
ocation on said river!:D
As you can see from my forum name, I do have an appreciation of Sako products, & hence my willingness to wade for another good rifle!:stir: Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back