Re-barreling a Thompson contender.

Shootist

I'm thinking about buying a Thompson Contender rifle. One of the reasons is to be able to change barrels of different calibres. The question is, how difficult (i.e. expensive) would it be for a gunsmith to make a barrel to fit if the desired calibre isn't readily available from Thompson?

I'm thinking about buying a Thompson Contender rifle. One of the reasons is to be able to change barrels of different calibres. The question is, how difficult (i.e. expensive) would it be for a gunsmith to make a barrel to fit if the desired calibre isn't readily available from Thompson?
There is a company in the US -lord knows I can't remember their name but they are in Idaho, that makes threaded stubs for contenders. These have the extractor cuts and locking lug cuts already made. It then becomes an easy chore for a gunsmith to fit a straight threaded barrel to the stub and headspace it. The extractor cuts and assembly would finish it. How radical a change of calibers will dictate what parts, if any, will be needed to complete the job.~Muir

FWIW: I am doing one the "hard way" by boring out a 30-30 barrel and threading a 25 caliber blank to fit so I can have a .256 Winchester Magnum. Mine is a GI contender, tho.

There is a company in the US -lord knows I can't remember their name but they are in Idaho, that makes threaded stubs for contenders. These have the extractor cuts and locking lug cuts already made. It then becomes an easy chore for a gunsmith to fit a straight threaded barrel to the stub and headspace it. The extractor cuts and assembly would finish it. How radical a change of calibers will dictate what parts, if any, will be needed to complete the job.~Muir

FWIW: I am doing one the "hard way" by boring out a 30-30 barrel and threading a 25 caliber blank to fit so I can have a .256 Winchester Magnum. Mine is a GI contender, tho.

I thought I was the only one who liked obscure cartridges lol . That will make a neat little rig ........ and you're right that is the hard way .

AB

I thought I was the only one who liked obscure cartridges lol . That will make a neat little rig ........ and you're right that is the hard way .

AB
I have the 256 Winchester in my blood. I did a huge amount of experimentation with it from a handgun back in the early eighties. (I even shot 200M metallic silhouette with it.) P.O. Ackley and I used to exchange spirited correspondence about the cartridge and forming it. With a 60 grain HP it was a serious coyote killer from a handgun. I have high hopes for a rifle.~Muir

Eagle View Arms,
A division of Eagle View Research Center, LLC
130 SE Kodiak Ridge Road
Shelton, WA 98584
Lol
Martin

Nice try,Lowell is not dealing with the 'public' anymore, have been waiting 18mths for a 'stub'.

Back