Police Scotland

bogtrotter

While its common to read on on here of police shortcomings regarding licensing and associated subjects, I can't speak
highly enough of Police Scotland in regards to a recent issue.

Recently had applications for Visitors Permits go missing in the mail ,leaving me with clients due to arrive shortly and no
Permits , police Scotland said if I reapplied they would do what they could, which I did with no real hope of a successful
outcome, considering the quoted time required to process applications is six weeks.

24 hours after applying I received a telephone call to say my permits were ready if I cared to come in and collect them

Fantastic service and very much appreciated :thumb:

It is good to give praise when due, I have always found licencing in perth / dundee very helpfull considering they are suffering staff cuts they are doing a fantastic job

Ray

I recently requested a 1 for 1 , and in my haste neglected to ask for moderator, 24 hours from start to finish including fixing MY mistake , awesome service.
Also forgot that I asked for an increase in ammunition as well , they really are on the ball !

Variation, 1 week, local bobby for quick 5 minute chat while on his "beat" thne a quick call from the inspector because i has requested high number of rounds (.22LR). Totally reasonable conversation.

Cannot fault it. (central scotland area).

All well and good but they managed to take near six months for a variation to add an air rifle to my ticket on land where I can use my .44 .22 multi shot 12g.They insisted on a home visit all their forms redone and guns/cabinet checked.
Yeah all for an air rifle.

Eh? An air rifle doesnt need a license til December, unless its over 12 ftlbs, in which case its not just an 'air rifle', it's a S1 Firearm? As has been the case for years. And needs the same enquiries/security as any other S1 Firearm. Still shouldn't take 6 months though.

Eh? An air rifle doesnt need a license til December, unless its over 12 ftlbs, in which case its not just an 'air rifle', it's a S1 Firearm? As has been the case for years. And needs the same enquiries/security as any other S1 Firearm. Still shouldn't take 6 months though.

Yes it was so I could add my air rifle and get it above 12 ftlbs.Now I asked it for vermin on land I already shoot with .44 rem mag,.22 lr and a multi shot 12 bore shotgun.Just how much inquiry do you think that really needed,had I asked for say something like a .0308 i'd agree with you but an air rifle.

I did the same as Nighteye whilst making out my application for a 1 to 1 variation, I changed my mind on the calibre. So when I eventually submitted it I had also forgot to add a moderator.

Just by explaining to Strathclyde by phone everything was sorted out no dramas. Plus they added on the extra ammo they had omitted on the new certificate.

Great Service.

Its nice to see some people somewhere having good experiences...

Essex Police are I think the worst in the country ATM. 60+ weeks for application, 16 weeks for variation/renewal. Just received a temporary permit for SGC which expires soon. Worst is when FAC is due to renew and a temporary permit is issued (for up to 16 weeks), I believe you have to surrender Exp ammo!?

Yes it was so I could add my air rifle and get it above 12 ftlbs.Now I asked it for vermin on land I already shoot with .44 rem mag,.22 lr and a multi shot 12 bore shotgun.Just how much inquiry do you think that really needed,had I asked for say something like a .0308 i'd agree with you but an air rifle.

You'd probably find that you asked for something that they hadn't seen before. They would have to check/work out the process of doing it and then get it approved (their method of dealing with that type of request) by higher up the line. You've probably just been the Guinea pig.

I had a change of address and variation done in ten days recently. That included checking my cabinet and changing my mind on calibre through the process.

I concur with the above sentiments - police Scotland are first class in all respects regards, time and sensibility to variations etc. Inverness, have always dealt with me efficiently and are very helpful and friendly. I sold a shotgun last year and had arranged to meet the buyer at the House of Bruar, who was travelling up from the south of England. when sorting out some paperwork the day before I inadvertently burnt my certificate, and meeting the prospective buyer the next day, a phone call to the firearms department, had a replacement ready for pick up that morning.... hats off to them....

Police scotland firearms department should be a model for the rest of the UK

Really??? That depends on personal experience because my opinion is it is run by one or two clueless individuals with very little knowledge of firearms, guidelines and legislation and that stretches all the way up to the Assistant Chief Constable. Trust me, the examples I could post on here would negate anything that could be said that was favourable.

Good to hear that some though are getting a decent service but that will sadly be down to one or two individuals and not indicative of the department as a whole. Since it became Police Scotland there has been a bullying culture introduced from the west and a phrase I've heard so often since then is, 'that would never have happened before the influence of Strathclyde'.

It can be hit or miss when it comes to licensing. When I lived in D&G, it was never a hassle. Very easy to deal with. Moved to Argyll and wow what a difference. Sometimes very straight forward but other times very frustrating. You would think with modern technology it should be getting easier, specially if your not making any changes or moving house.

Back