Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennel and dog run care

Kennel and dog run care

Hi everyone,

need some advice, my dogs have a run approx 6 mtrs long by 2mtrs wide.
    its smooth concrete with a wooden fence.
    both dogs do the business at the top end which i clean daily.
    the problem is the smell of urine sometimes is very strong.
    i know its the bitch as they are sometimes more stronger scented then the dogs.
    the problem is that even if i wash it every day with detol and bleach then rinse of with clean water the smells still around.

any recommendations to mask it or a spray cleaner that actually does what its supposed too.

What about good old jeyes fluid, (mind and dilute it so it doesn't stain the concrete)

I've used it for years around various animals, dogs included, and without side affects

Jeys fluid, does the trick and am i alone in thinking the smell is just soooooo good ?

+1 for jeyes. mix weak as a disinfect wash and strong periodically to bleach, kill all germs and bugs.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 27-05-2010 at 15:08.

Jeyes.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I seem to remember reading somewhere about coating the concrete with Unibond. This doesn't stop the smell, but makes the concrete impervious and therefore easier for the urine to be washed off. I'll try to find out where I read it.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Willie, that is very good for new laid stuff, If it's had some use he may struggle with coatings.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I used jeyes fluid on a a ewe once that had maggots, I had seen the shepherd just slosh it on and rub it in scraping the maggots off as he went. What I didn't realise was that he had already diluted it whereas the bottle I was using was un-diluted. It stung my hand more than you can imagine (and the ewe most likely) and I smelt of jeyes for about a week! JC

If I remeber correctly,& please feel free to pull me up on this one, but I believe that some of the best of the disinfectants, including Jeyes have either some simple coal tar derivatives or possibly Phenols, both related products, known to give skin burns & may even be carcinogenic, I was recently informed that the difficulties in obtaining carbolic soap is due to this issue, I personally will still buy & use these products, but care has to be taken not to just "slosh it on"!

hi,

used the jeye fluid before but to be honest i was wanting something with a different smell.
    reason is my garden backs on to anothers house and would like something nice for them.
    keep the peace if you know what i mean

frank