Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Yukon Photon XT, good first NV scope?

  1. #1

    Yukon Photon XT, good first NV scope?

    As per title, is the Yukon Photon XT a good option as a first foray into night vision? Would be mounted on a .222 Tika 595 and used for foxing.

    Thanks all!

  2. #2
    It is a very capable unit if you carry out the xtreme conversion (see the night vision forum for full details) it's a cheap conversion using a camera lens which are readily available. The parts to do mine will be here on monday. I have had most of the high end NV but if what i am being told by some experienced guys is true the Photon xtreme conversion will do very well when you consider the whole lot will cost me about 440 (excluding IR) and that includes a brand new 6.5 XT scope.
    It will then give around 12x mag and aparently is very usable and clear to beyond 300 yards and i believe that with the Dragonfly 500mw laser that i intend to use this will make for clear viewing to well beyond that.
    Last edited by RPA 6MM BR; 04-03-2016 at 17:35.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    It is a very capable unit if you carry out the xtreme conversion (see the night vision forum for full details) it's a cheap conversion using a camera lens which are readily available. The parts to do mine will be here on monday. I have had most of the high end NV but if what i am being told by some experienced guys is true the Photon xtreme conversion will do very well when you consider the whole lot will cost me about 440 (excluding IR) and that includes a brand new 6.5 XT scope.
    It will then give around 12x mag and aparently is very usable and clear to beyond 300 yards and i believe that with the Dragonfly 500mw laser that i intend to use this will make for clear viewing to well beyond that.
    I'm looking at doing the same to my photon 6.5x50, however they do say on the forum that it doesn't work with a variable zoom because the POA changes when you zoom in. That's where the photon 2.5x 50 doubler comes in to play

  4. #4
    I like them, you can use them in daylight and dusk as well.
    I find the 4.6x magnification insufficent though for most purposes.
    I guess the 6.5x would be better.
    I will research the xtreme conversion
    Last edited by badbob; 04-03-2016 at 19:47.

  5. #5
    If you are considering doing the photon xtreme conversion buy the 4,5 not the 6.5 as the only difference between the two is the magnification, and if you are going to use a camera lens like the pentax takumar the original lens will be redundant, i have done the conversion and a 55mm lens for rabbiting is ideal whilst the 105mm is great for foxing, if you want more magnification go for the 135mm, the conversion is well worth doing and takes about five minutes to do, cheers Geoff

  6. #6
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by james williams View Post
    I'm looking at doing the same to my photon 6.5x50, however they do say on the forum that it doesn't work with a variable zoom because the POA changes when you zoom in. That's where the photon 2.5x 50 doubler comes in to play
    ?

    The doubler is for the standard lens. Adding a prime (non-zoom) camera lens is what gives additional mag dependent on its focal length. Front focussing zoom lenses will not work as the lens rotate through zoom, changing its collimating and therefore possibly PoI.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  7. #7
    I think that's what I was trying to say as well. Can anyone advise me if I need the adaptor or will the doubler fit straight onto the 6.5 x50 XT

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by james williams View Post
    I'm looking at doing the same to my photon 6.5x50, however they do say on the forum that it doesn't work with a variable zoom because the POA changes when you zoom in. That's where the photon 2.5x 50 doubler comes in to play
    No variable zoom on the 135mm lens I am going to use plus good quality glass.

  9. #9
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by james williams View Post
    I think that's what I was trying to say as well. Can anyone advise me if I need the adaptor or will the doubler fit straight onto the 6.5 x50 XT
    Doubler will fit straight on
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  10. #10
    I'm curious

    does anyone have any pictures of these conversions with bigger lenses ?

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Brand new yukon photon xt night scope 6.5x50
    By solo gun in forum Optics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-02-2016, 10:12
  2. *SOLD* Yukon Photon XT 4.6x42 S Digital Scope
    By Foxydave in forum Optics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-07-2015, 19:16
  3. For Sale New YUKON PHOTON XT 4.6x42 Digital Night Vision Scope
    By spatan7510 in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-06-2015, 09:40
  4. Looking for some info on the Yukon Photon XT digital NV
    By carper99 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-02-2015, 19:31
  5. For Sale Yukon photon digital NV scope
    By thomas in forum Optics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-06-2014, 08:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •