Thread: AI or not?

AI or not?

I sort off understand the principle of having a rifle Ackley Improved (angle of the neck of the case changed to burn power more efficiently) but in real/practical terms does it really make enough of difference at sub 200m to worrant and is there any change in recoil? In my case I would be looking at it in 243, also can you buy factory ammo for them as not a home loader. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jon15 View Post
    I sort off understand the principle of having a rifle Ackley Improved (angle of the neck of the case changed to burn power more efficiently) but in real/practical terms does it really make enough of difference at sub 200m to worrant and is there any change in recoil? In my case I would be looking at it in 243, also can you buy factory ammo for them as not a home loader. Thanks
    That's a "no" to the factory ammunition. If you are not a handloader then that is just another reason to bypass an AI chambering. In truth, Ackley was not necessarily a proponent of "improving" a high intensity round like 243, 22-250, etc. He had written as much in several articles. The reason being that if the cartridge was already producing, say 60K PSI, adding more powder to take it above those levels was silly. Indeed, if you look a a very common statute of interior ballistics: if you increase the case capacity of any give cartridge -and keep the same projectile and powder- your velocity increase will be 1/4 the increase in case capacity, percentage wise. A 10% increase in case capacity will yield a 2.5% increase in velocity. In past posts of folks running an Ackley 243, the velocity gains they get are sometimes under 100 fps. ~Muir

Benefits were also supposed to include less case growth
    all in return for more awkward feeding
    std ammo canbe used but then whats the point

I wouldn't bother.
    You may gain a bit of speed, but you may also stuff up your feeding

jon15 what is it exactly your trying to achive from a .243ai over a standard .243? i think its going to be one of two things either a faster flatter shooting round or possibly a more accurate round, if its the first then why not shoot a lighter bullet through a standard .243 as im sure your aware you can buy factory ammo as low as 57grains but personally i think somthing around the 75gr mark would be as low as i would want to go but to be honest if your only shooting out to 200yrds i cant see there being much need to worrie about trajectory as your almost going to be point and shoot with most if not all bullet weights within this range. If its the second reason tho and its more accuracy your after then i really cant see that a .243ai is going to be anymore accurate than a .243 especially nothing that you will notice in practical terms of being a stalker/ foxing rifle and with the masses of factory ammo avlible for the .243 there will be a factroy load avalible for any given rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    That's a "no" to the factory ammunition. If you are not a handloader then that is just another reason to bypass an AI chambering. In truth, Ackley was not necessarily a proponent of "improving" a high intensity round like 243, 22-250, etc. He had written as much in several articles. The reason being that if the cartridge was already producing, say 60K PSI, adding more powder to take it above those levels was silly. Indeed, if you look a a very common statute of interior ballistics: if you increase the case capacity of any give cartridge -and keep the same projectile and powder- your velocity increase will be 1/4 the increase in case capacity, percentage wise. A 10% increase in case capacity will yield a 2.5% increase in velocity. In past posts of folks running an Ackley 243, the velocity gains they get are sometimes under 100 fps. ~Muir
    Thanks Muir, very informative, I will stick to the standard .243.

As Muir said, if you're not a hand loader it's pointless. You're right to stick with the standard .243 (if you don't want to go bigger).
    Hypothetically, if you were i'd still say don't do it, simply because for the same cost (maybe a little more to get it feeding right) you could rechamber for a much potent round such as 6mm-284.
    However factory ammo doesn't exist for it as far as I am aware and if it does it won't be hunting ammo.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me