Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawke Vantage 17 HMR scope?

Hawke Vantage 17 HMR scope?

Just spotted this, and thought that it might be worthwhile getting for the .17 HMR. Has anyone here tried one? How does the BDC match up to real life?

Hawke UK | Vantage 4-12x40 Rimfire .17 HMR

Really interested in any info you've found about this one! They also do a .22lr version which would certainly be of interest to me... Seems like such a good price for something which would be great although the .22rf one doesn't have markings to aid hold under at ranges less than the zero range if that makes sense. not much of a worry with an HMR...

I am using a Hawke 2-7x32AO on a .22 now, and the parallax adjustment makes a difference, if you shoot rimfire over a variety of distances, like from 25 to 150 yards. The reticle is etched and very sharp. The glass is very clear, all I need for my hunting. But for night work, the larger scope would be better, and the Endurance comes with an illuminated reticle option and a Mil Dot option.

Bushnell makes a Rimfire 3-9x40 and 4-12x40 with side parallax and several sets of turrets for .22 and .17 HMR. It is the same scope as the Simmons ProTarget.

Seems like a good idea other than any aim point over the 200 yards mark is no use as I certainly wouldn't want to be shooting any quarry further than 200 yards with a 17HMR. The less mag you use will only increase the aim point distances so why can't they place more of the aim points between the centre (100 or 120 yard zero) and 200 yards?

Very true, I've been thinking that there .22 scope would be very useful as it gives slightly more useful points of reference than a milldot scope. Although I suppose it comes with practise. Might just stick with a 30/30 duplex at 4-16x50 for the 17hmr... Shame more people haven't used them but I think they're quite new?

Bushnell makes two rimfire scopes for the .17 HMR, with BDC marks out to 250 yards.
    There is a 4-12x40AO an a 3.5-10x36AO with BMAG reticle. Also comes with a duplex and turrets for .17 HMR and .22 LR.

If you want a lot of marks, the Nikon P-223 4-12x40 has 5 drop marks for the .223 in 100-yard increments, which you can calibrate to the .17 or any caliber. It also has external finger (glove) accessible turrets in MOA, and the stadia have fine hash marks vertical for holdover, and horizontal for ranging distance.

I've got one of the Vantage 17HMR specific scopes and found it pretty well spot on. I was using it on an Anschutz 17/17 and have dropped pigeons at 200 yards using the 200 yards mark on the scope. I couldn't really fault it.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    I've got one of the Vantage 17HMR specific scopes and found it pretty well spot on. I was using it on an Anschutz 17/17 and have dropped pigeons at 200 yards using the 200 yards mark on the scope. I couldn't really fault it.
    Sounds great! Is the 4-12 magnification enough for those sorts of shots? I was wondering if a bit more would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttoshoot View Post
    Sounds great! Is the 4-12 magnification enough for those sorts of shots? I was wondering if a bit more would be useful.
    Nope as a modern shooter you need at least 40x mag to shoot a rabbit at 100 yards. 100x would be even better of course!

Of course our fore fathers happily managed with 3x and 4x scopes or horrors of horrors iron sights to shoot rabbits and such at 100 yards and futher. They had better eyes than modern man though otherwise they could not have managed such remarkable feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Nope as a modern shooter you need at least 40x mag to shoot a rabbit at 100 yards. 100x would be even better of course!

Of course our fore fathers happily managed with 3x and 4x scopes or horrors of horrors iron sights to shoot rabbits and such at 100 yards and futher. They had better eyes than modern man though otherwise they could not have managed such remarkable feats.
    ok ok ok ok ok I get the message