Thread: Lead free

Lead free

Afternoon All

I have been asked (in the light of the FC heading towards Lead free),by my employers to look at us using alternatives to lead.
    I will be fox shooting .222 rem and deer stalking 260 rem and 308. I have been using Barnes TTSX 110 grain my 308 to good effect, I was using Sako 123gr. I like this bullet because it is very effective but also it limits the amount of energy coming out the exit side, which is quite important in a very busy southern England when working for a risk averse company.

My question to the experienced lead free users is how have you found the alternatives?

Would any of you have the time for a chat about your real world experiences?

Is their anyone local to me with part boxes of .22 , 6.5mm or 30cal lead free expanding bullets they would like to sell so I could try some? Or even factory ammunition in the above calibers?

If anyone has pictures of entry and exit wounds of known calibers and bullet type I would be very great full and will forward an email address.

To anyone using .22 centre fires how are you finding them as their not the room to drop to much weight?

Thanks

I'm using the Sako Powerhead 130 grain Barnes TSX in my .270, with great effect, for more than a year now. I must say i'm very pleased with them.

Before I started reloading I used Federal Premium 43gr Speer TNT in my .22-250. I didn't have a chronograph then either but purported to run at ~4000fps.

I didn't really spend enough time shooting it to get a good feel for the round. It shot small groups with a pretty flat trajectory. I'm assuming the BC is pretty dire and it would loose velocity quickly over range. That said I only used out to ~220yards but with great effect on fox, rabbit and crow. More tricky in the wind than my current 52gr Amax loading at similar muzzle velocity.

Some exit on foxes. Savage end results so not good if you want to shoot anything for the pot. Great round but very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonjimmy View Post
    Before I started reloading I used Federal Premium 43gr Speer TNT in my .22-250. I didn't have a chronograph then either but purported to run at ~4000fps.

I didn't really spend enough time shooting it to get a good feel for the round. It shot small groups with a pretty flat trajectory. I'm assuming the BC is pretty dire and it would loose velocity quickly over range. That said I only used out to ~220yards but with great effect on fox, rabbit and crow. More tricky in the wind than my current 52gr Amax loading at similar muzzle velocity.

Some exit on foxes. Savage end results so not good if you want to shoot anything for the pot. Great round but very expensive.
    pretty sure the TNT are lead core...

I have used the 130g TTSX for a while and prefer it to the lead core alternatives. I have photos if you pm me your email address I will send them along. Happy to have a chat as well if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    pretty sure the TNT are lead core...

I have used the 130g TTSX for a while and prefer it to the lead core alternatives. I have photos if you pm me your email address I will send them along. Happy to have a chat as well if you want.
    The aforementioned round was the Speer TNT green. I.e. Lead free. See the link: Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

Very effective lead free varmint round for the .22-250.

Federal also use the same 43gr lead free bullet in a .222 round running at a purported 3400fps: Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

Should by a useful round for foxes if you have to go lead free,

J

Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonjimmy View Post
    The aforementioned round was the Speer TNT green. I.e. Lead free. See the link: Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

Very effective lead free varmint round for the .22-250.
    Ahh see what you mean, I was thinking of the original TNT

Thanks for the imput so far folks!