Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WATOK liscensing

WATOK liscensing

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-ce...r-kill-animals

How is this going to affect stalking/culling in parks ?
    We are in the process of setting up a park, so does any one know any thing about the training/assessment criteria to get the certificate ?

So It doesn't effect you as you are using a free bullet.

I read it as you do, so does the NGO magazine.

When you don’t need a WATOK licence

You don’t need a WATOK licence if you:

• kill livestock at home to be eaten by your family
    • are supervised by a vet
    • are supervised by a WATOK or relevant CoC licence holder
    • kill an animal in an emergency
    • are a vet, killing an animal as part of your job
    • kill surplus chicks or embryos in hatchery waste
    • kill animals for public health, animal health, animal welfare or environmental reasons
    • kill an animal in a field using a free bullet, if the animal won’t be eaten by people
    • kill poultry by cervical dislocation where there are no other methods available and the bird won’t be eaten by people - you must do this on the farm where the bird was reared
    • kill an animal for reasons that aren’t covered by the EU regulations, eg hunting or fishing

Sorry Norma, nothing came up when I posted. Where is your thread, any interesting replies/views ?

As I understand it,the difference is between Park Deer(deemed as wild animals) versus Farmed Deer(ear tagged etc),Free bullet or not if its going for Human consumption from, a Park, a COC isnt required whereas,from a Farm, COC is required........

Is that how others see it? Its how my local DEFRA Vet explained it to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by nick100 View Post
    I read it as you do, so does the NGO magazine.
    When you don’t need a WATOK licence
    You don’t need a WATOK licence if you:

• kill animals for public health, animal health, animal welfare or environmental reasons

I would suggest that culling park deer is for both animal welfare and environmental reasons. If park deer aren't culled, numbers would rise until both animal health and welfare was compromised through lack of food. Over browsing/grazing of the park area would certainly damage the environment. QED?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    [/LIST]

I would suggest that culling park deer is for both animal welfare and environmental reasons. If park deer aren't culled, numbers would rise until both animal health and welfare was compromised through lack of food. Over browsing/grazing of the park area would certainly damage the environment. QED?
    That would be fine as long as the carcase doesnt go into the human food chain....

I have spoken to the BDS, NGO and the BDFPA about this. The BDS hadn't heard about it. The NGO and BDFPA both had different answers. NGO said you would need the WATOK licence and the BDFPA said you wouldn't. All up in the air at the moment. All said they would contact me and let me know as soon as they had any more info.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    That would be fine as long as the carcase doesnt go into the human food chain....
    Why is that? I read the list as exactly that - a list of individual, specific circumstances where a WATOK licence isn't required. I don't believe it is a pick 'n mix list whereby you have to meet all/some/a few (?) of the bullet points in the list. Just one of them will do?

It's worth reading the online blurb:

You must have either a WATOK licence or a CoC to carry out any of the relevant operations below and you either:

The relevant operations are:

• restraining animals for stunning or killing
    • stunning animals
    • assessing if stunning has worked
    • shackling or hoisting live animals
    • bleeding live animals
    • pithing of a stunned animal and checking this is effective

If you cull a deer in a park you are clearly not a knackerman and not slaughtering small numbers of poultry or rabbits. The point of contention might be around whether a deer park is a 'farm' or not. (I would say not - but what do i know?).

However, even if you do need a WATOK, the 'relevant operations' it covers are restraining, stunning, assessing if stunning has worked, hoisting live animals, bleeding live animals and pithing. In 17 years of deer stalking I've never done any of these operations (and yes I do have my DSC2!) If anyone is restraining live animals, stunning them, hoisting up live animals, bleeding live animals and pithing them I would respectfully suggest they're not doing their stalking properly? Personally, I prefer my deer dead on the ground before getting hands on.

Irrespective of the question is a deer park a farm or not, this may not bode well for the future. If we end up with a requirement for WATOK or CoC to cull deer in parks it doesn't take much of a stretch to argue that similar rules should apply to any killing of large mammals. It's worth looking at the fee structure to obtain a WATOK:

The vet will give you a ‘certificate of assessment’ once they’re satisfied you can do these without causing avoidable pain, suffering or distress.

The vet will charge you the following for the assessment:

• 76 for the first 30 minutes
    • 21 for each additional 30 minutes

You must also pay any costs for the vet to travel to your location.

Once you have the certificate of assessment, you can apply for a WATOK licence. It costs 25.

My nearest APHA Field Service Office is in Worcester, over 40 miles and an hour plus away, so God knows how much it would cost...

Is this another one of the 'thousand cuts' that will eventually do for all shooting sports?