Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, with a set of lee 38 special/ .357 mag

Help, with a set of lee 38 special/ .357 mag

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody can give me any information about getting an adjuster for powder through expander die, I purchase the 3 die set second hand last year but didn't realise that it was missing, Is there anywhere that I could get a replacement or do I have to buy a complete new Expander die??
    I am a complete Novice who is trying to start reloading.

Thanks for any help.

Sam

Unless they have changed them, you charge the case through the expander as if it were a funnel. In fact, IIRC, the Lee funnel attaches directly to the die to assist in this. I think Lee's Auto Disc measure also attaches to the die but, of course, you'd need to buy that accessory. If you do, also buy the micrometer slide to use instead of the pre set discs. It allows more latitude in loading.~Muir

SD Regular
    Hannam's Reloading. Or try a wanted listing in Forum Classifieds?

Hi Muir,

Thanks for your reply, I don't have a lee Press, I have the Rock Chucker supreme press which I was hoping to use it in, If not I might Buy the Rcbs 3 die set? Just that I bought them a t a reasonable price.

Hi, sam,

I'm not sure about what you mean by 'adjuster' for the powder through die.
    If you are referring to the hexagonal aluminium part that screws into the top of the die I can help you out there as I have a couple of spares. I'm just across the Solent from you so could post or meet up if this helps.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Hi, sam,

I'm not sure about what you mean by 'adjuster' for the powder through die.
    If you are referring to the hexagonal aluminium part that screws into the top of the die I can help you out there as I have a couple of spares. I'm just across the Solent from you so could post or meet up if this helps.

John
    Hi John,

Many thanks for your Kind offer,

Yes that would be great if I pm you with my address and you can tell me what I owe you.

Regards,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If you do, also buy the micrometer slide to use instead of the pre set discs. It allows more latitude in loading.~Muir
    I'd have to disagree with that for pistol size loads, the micrometer slide is very iffy with small amounts of powder, even Lee say not to use it with certain powders for loads under about 6gr (.4cc)

I used one with both TiteGroup and Nobel GM3 and found it very inconsistent.

Lee Charge Bar Powder Measure Review
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by samIOW View Post
    Hi Muir,

Thanks for your reply, I don't have a lee Press, I have the Rock Chucker supreme press which I was hoping to use it in, If not I might Buy the Rcbs 3 die set? Just that I bought them a t a reasonable price.
    Just to put your mind at rest Sam as you did say that you were a total novice, the Lee dies are perfectly compatible with a RCBS press. Nearly all the reloading companies standardised on the 7/8 x14 thread size for dies years ago making dies totally interchangeable so no need to replace an excellent press with one of a lesser quality. There shouldn't be much wrong with the dies either other than you are missing a crucial part that is easily replaced.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Just to put your mind at rest Sam as you did say that you were a total novice, the Lee dies are perfectly compatible with a RCBS press. Nearly all the reloading companies standardised on the 7/8 x14 thread size for dies years ago making dies totally interchangeable so no need to replace an excellent press with one of a lesser quality. There shouldn't be much wrong with the dies either other than you are missing a crucial part that is easily replaced.

Thanks for that 8x57 everybody is so helpful here,

I did realize that they would fit the RCBS, All I meant was I thought the replacement missing nut would cost more than I paid for the set, Hence me saying about buying a RCBS set .

Quote Originally Posted by samIOW View Post
    Thanks for that 8x57 everybody is so helpful here,

I did realize that they would fit the RCBS, All I meant was I thought the replacement missing nut would cost more than I paid for the set, Hence me saying about buying a RCBS set .
    As Muir said earlier - If you are using an auto disc measure, it fits right on top of the die and you don't need the hollow aluminium nut, I guess thats why the nut got separated from the die.

I see you have a Rock Chucker, a good solid press, but if you're going to be loading more than a few straight walled pistol cases I would think about getting a Lee turret press too.

I'm not a lover of turret presses for full size rifle rounds but for pistol/gallery rifle then the Lee turret, Lee carbide dies and a Lee auto-disc measure is hard to beat.