Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 204 for Fox, North Yorkshire

204 for Fox, North Yorkshire

I'm looking for a foxing/longer range vermin rifle and quite fancy a 204. I understand some forces haven't been too keen about the calibre for fox so I was wondering if there's anyone out there who comes under North Yorkshire who has a 204 conditioned for fox.

Thanks

Have you asked them outright yourself? Often the personal touch with FEO works. I'd be very surprised they would not let the 204R be used on foxes.

BE

Sorry not from the North, but my 2p worth is that this comes down to crass ignorance from your Police area.

If you consider what is acceptable for fox from a muzzle energy perspective and do the figures:

.222 using 50gr bullets = around 1060 ft lbs (widely acceptable by Licencing authorities)

.223 using 50 gr bullets = around 1200 ft lbs ( ditto ditto )

204 using 40 gr bullets = around 1300 ft lbs ( ??? )

Failing that get it for long range vermin and ask for AOLQ if they don't issue that as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Have you asked them outright yourself? Often the personal touch with FEO works. I'd be very surprised they would not let the 204R be used on foxes.

BE
    You're dead right big ears, it was just that I was in 'shopping mode' yesterday and couldn't wait until this morning to contact them - a touch of the kid in a sweet shop!

Thanks for all of the feedback gents, I've just been onto the office this morning and theyre happy happy with it 204 as a foxing calibre but it would go down on the cert as ALOQ anyway.

I know there'sbeen a recent post praising North Yorks firearms office, and rightly so. They are understaffed and overworked but always a pleasure to deal with.

Does anyone want to buy an HMR?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    You're dead right big ears, it was just that I was in 'shopping mode' yesterday and couldn't wait until this morning to contact them - a touch of the kid in a sweet shop!

Thanks for all of the feedback gents, I've just been onto the office this morning and theyre happy happy with it 204 as a foxing calibre but it would go down on the cert as ALOQ anyway.

I know there'sbeen a recent post praising North Yorks firearms office, and rightly so. They are understaffed and overworked but always a pleasure to deal with.

good luck with the 204 I run a 20 cal here and a shooting buddy near Selby runs the same 20 as me, great calibre and are just what the doctor ordered for fox, just a tip, if you find plenty of brass buy it it can be hard to come buy now that the calibre has really going through a resurgence as it's becoming popular again,

as as for the hmr keep it I have one I don't use anymore but I bet you'll need it sooner than you think,

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 08-03-2016 at 18:12.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

You jammy begger......I was turned down flat for my request for a 204 for fox in North Wales. I was told I had to go for a either a 223 or 22-250 so I've opted for the 223.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post
    You jammy begger......I was turned down flat for my request for a 204 for fox in North Wales. I was told I had to go for a either a 223 or 22-250 so I've opted for the 223.
    I mean no disrepect as I am sure they are fine blokes but that strikes me as an unacceptable lack of professional knowledge which could easily be remedied by spending 90 seconds on the internet. It's not as if the processing cost is low or the prospective firearm purchaser can turn in a dodgy paperwork and expect to have everything approved.

great to hear that good folks are doing good work despite tough conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post

Great to hear that they granted the 204 legolas. You won't regret that, great calibre.

BE