Calling muntjac

I am lucky enough to have some good muntjac stalking and so go most weekends just for a morning stalk . Last Saturday my friend and myself set off into a wood we hadn't been to for several months [ and on that occasion it produced a lovely silver medal head ] no sooner as i had settled down as the morning broke the piece was interrupted with the sound of a rifle report and sure enough I got the call buck taken. I made my way down and after the inspection my friend started to perform the gralloch as he was doing that 2 roe appeared from a wood about 400 yds away. Now roe are off limits to us on this ground but that didn't stop me from trying my buttalo call, after several calls I didn't even get a flinch from them but to both our surprise we was charged by a very large muntjac doe , she broke cover and really embarked with a rapid volley of barks which ive never heard before then she darted for cover after several more squeaks out she came again and this went on every time I squeaked, unfortunately for her we are under a lot of landlord pressure to reduce numbers so she was added to the cull.
This weekend we set off again into a larger wood , I had a guest with me so I set him up in a place I know he would surely see deer , I moved off into an area I hadn't been before and had a good wander, trying to stalk in woodland isn't easy as most of you will know as every twig and bit of dead vegetation sounds twice as loud as it should. No sooner as I stepped into the wood off the ride I saw a buck crossing right to left up went the sticks as he was picking his way through the trees cross hairs on his neck and the shot was disappearing as thick undergrowth swallowed him up , gone , but wait I had my buttalo , so one slow squeak and out he came back into the clearing shot back on and another buck in the larder.
I have tried this call several times before on muntjac but have never really had much luck with it but how fortunes change.

The Muntjac Doe that charged in probably had a newly born fawn hidden in the undergrowth nearby whilst she was feeding. The Buttalo call sounds like a muntjac fawn in distress.
Whilst it is clearly an effective method of calling, it is not very ethical to be orphaning fawns despite landlord pressure. Did she by chance have a fairly large milk sack?
It is believed that bucks also come to the call as a doe with a new born kid is also ready to be covered again! Your fortune probably only changed due to timing of breeding cycle, but there are clearly deer welfare issues to consider.
MS

The Muntjac Doe that charged in probably had a newly born fawn hidden in the undergrowth nearby whilst she was feeding. The Buttalo call sounds like a muntjac fawn in distress.
Whilst it is clearly an effective method of calling, it is not very ethical to be orphaning fawns despite landlord pressure. Did she by chance have a fairly large milk sack?
It is believed that bucks also come to the call as a doe with a new born kid is also ready to be covered again! Your fortune probably only changed due to timing of breeding cycle, but there are clearly deer welfare issues to consider.
MS
I agree with MS view. I have experienced this 'Doe charge' several times over the years and choose not to shoot the Doe.

If you use a 'sharper, shorter' pip on the call you will more than likely attract a Buck. The theory being that the Buck thinks a Doe is being harassed by another Buck in his territory. You can tune the call to a slightly higher pitch too.

I call a lot of the Muntjac that I shoot and there is a 4:1 ratio of Bucks to Does, that answer the call respectively. Does are mainly stalked, taken from high seats or low seats at ride junctions.

With Muntjac, it is an unfortunate fact, that one can never be absolutely sure that no dependent young exist though.

Yesterday morning, I tried calling in several different spots with two types of call and was duly ignored. Fascinating.

Last edited:
I spend a good amount of time working out the times to shoot them so to put myself in that position, two
positive reactions I had was last year when both bucks came from out of a wood. using a Buttolo caller the first buck came out in a hurry head down following a well used trail across a wheat stubble field I was waiting on by the hedge.
Head shot out around 100 yards after stopping him with a bark, this made wonder to try again, sure enough a second buck came out around 10 yards from the first head down and ended up close to the first.

This was the late summer and a still evening, not had any reactions since then but given the strong winds we have had but I will keep trying.

Tim.243

I did check her milk bag and she wasn't giving milk but was heavily pregnant hence the Decision to shoot her , I don't take muntjac unless Iam fairly confident that there is no dependants and she gave me more time to access her condition than some do as you stalk or shoot from a high seat but I am always learning and take on board what's been explained as to the possible behaviour Thanks. For your comments

Back