Another Barnes TSX thread

nun_hunter

I'm about to start reloading some 130 grain Barnes TSX for my 308. I curently use CFE223 to good effect with 150 grain SSTs and 168 grain match kings so had a friend run the Barnes through quick load with the CFE223 to see what it was likely to come out at.

Quickload suggested a max load of 50.3grains giving 2882fps from a 19" barrel.

Does this seem fast enough to get the bullets to expand sufficiently? From looking at the Barnes data this seems in their range (considering they use a 24" barrel) but the most accurate load may be quite a bit below max so reducing the fps even more. Due to where I shoot I doubt shots would be over 150m.

Should I stick with the CFE223 or look for a "faster" powder?

I'm about to start reloading some 130 grain Barnes TSX for my 308. I curently use CFE223 to good effect with 150 grain SSTs and 168 grain match kings so had a friend run the Barnes through quick load with the CFE223 to see what it was likely to come out at.

Does this seem fast enough to get the bullets to expand sufficiently? From looking at the Barnes data this seems in their range (considering they use a 24" barrel) but the most accurate load may be quite a bit below max so reducing the fps even more. Due to where I shoot I doubt shots would be over 150m.

PM srvet. He is using 130 TTSX in a .308 at about 3000 fps.

Your velocity should be sufficient but if you want to get them faster try N140, I have got 130's going just shy of 3000fps on 47.5gr.

Im currently using barnes 130 ttsx in 308 in a 20 inch barrel, they are coming out at 2800 fps, shot roe upto 200 yrds without any issues as yet, hardly take a step after the shot. Atb blue.

Last edited:

Have you seen the TTSX 130grain 308 chart I posted the other day?

Barnes ttsx data for .308 - Page 3

Is there any particular reason you are going for TSX rather than TTSX?

As far as my reading goes they both should expand fully at anything above a terminal velocity of 2000fps. I seem to remember reading 1800fps for TSX somewhere.

Alan

Last edited:
I did see the sheet (very grateful thanks) which made me think it would be OK if I got them to 2700-2800. I went for the TSX as I didn't see the added benefit of the slightly higher BC and accuracy as I'd only be using it to 200m at the most and I thought that the TTSX being more readily expandable was based more on anecdotal evidence as I don't remember reading from Barnes that they were.

I did see the sheet (very grateful thanks) which made me think it would be OK if I got them to 2700-2800. I went for the TSX as I didn't see the added benefit of the slightly higher BC and accuracy as I'd only be using it to 200m at the most and I thought that the TTSX being more readily expandable was based more on anecdotal evidence as I don't remember reading from Barnes that they were.

I think you are right. the TSX were fully expanded at 200fps less than the TTSX I read somewhere.

I found quite a few interesting reviews and you tube films about them, virtually all positive...but they have rather blurred together in my memory!

I haven't tested my current load, but the development range was between 2850 and 3010 with the IMR 4895

Alan

Last edited:
I use 46g of H4895 that gives 2995fps out of a 20 in tube. I loaded some with greater charge weights and saw no pressure signs but went with 46g as it was accurate. Definitely effective as others have said as Roe seldom take a step. Personally I would try to push them faster than 2800 if you can.

Personally I would go with the TTSX and drop the weight down to 130 grains.

The TTSX expands faster than the TSX, the LRX expands faster again. The expansions is achieved by 2 factors.

1. The cavity in the nose of the bullet get's wider and deeper and you cane designs. TSX cavity is only 0.8mm wide, the TTSX and LRX at 2.1mm wide. The cavity in the TTSX and LRX is also deeper than the TSX, helping the 4 petals to peel back faster.
2. The Polymer tip on the TTSX and LRX is forced back into the cavity on impact and helps to start the expansion faster than the TSX.

If you want to drop deer quickly - where they stand - you want to try to keep Terminal velocity above about 2600 fps. To achieve this at 150 yds you need to have a Muzzle velocity of around 3000 fps. The bullet will still kill deer below 2600 fps but you are likely to have quite a few long runners.

And be careful with neck shots with the Barnes bullets. The total lack of fragmentation means that you have to hit the spine. You can't rely on a fragment severing the cord like you can on a BT if you are slightly off.

I have found TTSX and LRX to perform exceptionally well IF you drive them fast enough and use them for chest shots. There are many stories of people complaining about lack of expansion on the old X bullets, a lack of expansion if Terminal Velocity is too slow, and "penciling" through on neck shots where they have missed the spine.

Personally, I love them. But you need to understand their limitations. They don't behave in the same way as traditional bullets.

Thanks for all the great info. I've got 100 TSX arriving this week so I'll work with these first before I try the TTSX if I'm not happy with the TSX performance. I'll also head to my closest dealers and see what "faster" powders I can source to start a new development for these bullets. They will be solely for deer and pretty much all chest shots, I've got a nice 243 with traditional bullets that I can use for head shooting if the need arises.

Once all the components are together and tested I'll post up the results.

What NigelM said has pretty much nailed it, from what you have just said nun hunter if you are going to chest shoot I would definitely go to TTSX, their much better for this and head shooting, the TSX are good for head shooting but not as good for chest shooting from the evidence I have seen over the last 3 years, this is on Reds aswell so the best example you could ask for.

Obviously you can only try this in the field for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Back